shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato


Page address:

How to Write a Constitution

Click here to view [PDF] How to Write a Constituion (52 KiB)

Recognized Student Organizations (RSOs) Frequently Asked Questions

1) What are the Student Activities office hours?

During the fall and spring semesters, Student Activities office hours are from 8am-6pm Monday-Thursday.  Friday it is open from 8am-4:30pm.  Staff are available from 8am-4:30pm during the week.

2) What is the best way to schedule time with an RSO staff member to discuss things related to my organization?

Begining Fall 2017, we have a created an easy way for student leaders to meet with one of our staff members.  

 To schedule time with Ashley - Assistant Director - CLICK HERE

To schedule time with Jessica- Graduate Advisor CLICK HERE


3) How does my RSO obtain an email address?  How do necessary officers gain access?

Once an organization becomes recognized, they may obtain an MSU email account for thier organization(i.e.  This is a shared folder that officers with permission can access after they log into thier Mav Mail. You can request an email account by completing this form. If you already have an email and need access, contact Ashley Strom or Jessica Lee in the Student Activities office (CSU 173). 

Ashley Strom - Assistant Director - email:

Jessica Lee - Graduate Advisor - email:


4) How does my RSO reserve rooms for meetings or events?

All scheduling by RSO's is done through the virtual EMS scheduling software using the organizations mnsu email account. If you need an mnsu email please refer to question above.

If you have specific questions regarding scheduling of space, please contact University Scheduling & Conference Services. The office is located in CSU room 219. 

Phone:  507-389-2223
Web site:

5) Is there a place on-campus where my RSO can store things throughout the year?

There is an RSO office space within the Student Activities Office in CSU 173. There are storage lockers within this space that RSO groups can reserve from year to year. If your organization is in need of a locker, please complete the online form. We assign lockers based on need.

Request a Storage Locker

6) How does my RSO obtain an on-campus account or funding?

To set up an on-campus bank account, visit the "RSO - Excecutive Members club" portal in OrgSync. There is a form called '901 Account Request' that you can complete or just click on the hyperlink here.

7) Is there any funding available for RSO's?

There are two types of funding that RSO's can apply for through Student Government. Completed requests are reviewed by the Student Allocations Committee (SAC), who will make the final decision of whether to supply the funds requested. It would be wise to review the [PDF] SAC guidelines (358 KiB) before submitting. 

8) How do I apply for a TIN/EIN #?  (you need this for fundraising)

You can apply for a TIN by clicking on the link below.

9) How do I register my RSO?

For information and step-by-step instructions on registering your RSO on the new online system, click here.  If you are having trouble with any of the online registration components, please contact Student Activities office (CSU 173) 507-389-6076 and ask for Ashley Strom, the Assistant Director for RSO's.

10) What do I need to do in order to plan an event at an establishment that serves alcohol?

Groups planning events at establishments that supply alcohol must apply for permission to do so, even if the group does not plan to serve alcohol as part of the event.  These forms must be approved by administration before the event happens, and thus must be submitted to Mark Constantine, Director of the Student Union and Activities far in advance of the desired event.

[DOC] Form 1 (286 KiB)

[PDF] Form 2 (82 KiB)

11) Can we show a movie on campus?

Without getting into all the copywrite law, which you can read at , it doesn’t matter if the library or an individual owns a particular copy of a film, it cannot be shown publicly without paying licensing fees.  It doesn't matter if someone speaks afterward, if it's a documentary, or if the film is educational.  The library does have some limited funds to secure documentaries for public showings. Groups may also work with the Student Events Team films chair if there is an upcoming new film that would hit the theme you’re looking for.  Otherwise, groups can obtain public showing licences for films through SWANK motion pictures, Criterion Films, or through the film's producers in the case of smaller independent films. 

12) Who should I contact when planning a larger event?

Please contact the Student Activities office (CSU 173) in addition to Scheduling and Conferencing Services if your event has any of the following components:  if you are planning an event expecting a large number of people, special parking arrangements, have off-campus vendors, present potential risks, may need security, draw media attention, or you are planning on allowing underage people to come, please see us for assistance.  We would like to help make your event successful and safe.  See Ashley Strom or Jessica Lee for assistance in planning.

13) Where and how many flyers can my RSO post on campus?

Only RSOs, University departments, non-profit community organizations, and colleges may be given permission to post on University information boards. Prior to hanging any posters or giving out flyers, RSO's need to submit a copy of their graphic for review and approval by Marketing. You can submit your graphic within your OrgSync portal by going to the 'Forms' module and completing the 'Graphic Approval- Posters, T-shirts, Etc' form.

Once your graphic has been approved, bring your flyers to the Centennial Student Union main office (CSU 220) front desk to be stamped before posting them.

 Once stamped by the CSU main office (CSU 220) for posting, you can go around and hang with the exception of the buildings noted with a (*). For these locations, please just drop off the designated number of posters to their main office and their staff will hang for you.

If you would like a breakdown by map and building of the exact location of the bulletins, you can find that on this website -

14) What are the vehicle use guidelines for RSOs that would like to use University vehicles?

RSOs may rent University vehicles for travel on MSU functions. They must obtain the signature of their Faculty/Staff advisor and know that he/she is then responsible for any misuse of the vehicle. For complete regulations call Helen Walters at 389-5649.   Make sure to review the newly updated guidelines for using state vehicles at

15) How do I know if my organization has been recognized?

If your organization is recognized, it will be listed in the RSO Directory. If you think your RSO should be approved, but do not see it in the Directory, please contact Ashley Strom ( to see where it is in the process.  There are many steps to becomming recognized including officer approval, advisor approval, Student Senate approval, and finally Student Activities approval.  Ashley can tell you where your RSO is in the process so that you can move it to the next step.

16) What are the Student Activities office summer hours?

During the summer, our office is open from 7:30am-4pm Monday-Friday.

17) Questions or comments that are not answered on this page? 

Just ask.  Go to to ask a question or leave a comment.