Admission requirementsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/admissions/firstyear/application/firstyearrequirements.html
First Year Students
Completed applications must be submitted, including all required material, five (5) working days prior to the start of classes. Under certain circumstances, the University may institute an earlier priority admission deadline.
Applicants who are graduates of accredited high schools (or who hold a GED certificate) with no prior college work will be considered for admission to Minnesota State University, Mankato on the basis of high school courses (including Minnesota State University Preparation Standards), grades, class rank and college entrance examinations (ACT required).
If you are an applicant that has any military training (completion of basic training and after), you will be applying as a Transfer Student.
You will be admitted to Minnesota State University, Mankato if:
- You rank in the Top 50% of your high school class (with satisfactory ACT score) OR
- You have a GPA of at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) (with satisfactory ACT score) OR
- You achieve a 21 or higher composite score on the ACT exam (with satisfactory GPA)
If you do not meet the above admission requirements, your application will be reviewed on the basis of strength of college preparation course work, grade point average, probability of success, academic progression, class rank and ACT test scores. Supplemental information may also be requested before an admission decision is made.
All students must submit an ACT score prior to enrollment. Minnesota State University, Mankato is not requiring the writing portion of the ACT.
Students graduating from high school in the previous 3 years are subject to preparation requirements.
College Preparation Standards:
- English: 4 years.
- Mathematics: 3 years. Requires two years of algebra and one year of geometry.
- Science: 3 years. At least one course must be in a biological science and one in physical science. All courses should include laboratory experiences. Examples of appropriate courses are anatomy and physiology, biology, botany, zoology, astronomy, earth science, chemistry, physics, physical science and geology.
- Social Studies: 3 years. At least one course or its equivalent in US history and one in geography are required.
- World Language: 2 years of the same language. Any language, including American Sign Language (ASL) is acceptable.
- World Culture or The Arts: 1 year. World Culture courses are non-language courses which teach about other cultures, provide a global perspective, and foster an understanding of other cultures. Appropriate art courses include music, drama, survey, and visual arts courses.
Additional Admission Opportunities:
- If you graduated from high school three or more years ago and have not had any formal schooling since high school, you will be admitted to Minnesota State University, Mankato upon application and proof of high school graduation or satisfactory GED scores.
- If you have pursued some post-secondary education (college, university, technical school), have been out of school for at least one full year and are now interested in returning to college, you are encouraged to apply to Minnesota State University, Mankato. Your application and transcripts will be reviewed for admission purposes on an individual basis.
Minnesota State University, Mankato is committed to enrolling a diverse student body. Admission is granted without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin or disability. The institution abides by the provisions of Title IX and by all other federal and state laws regarding equal opportunity.