English ProficiencyPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/admissions/international/englishproficiency.html
Provide documentation in one of the following ways:
- TOEFL paper-based test score of 500 or better; OR
- TOEFL internet-based test score of 61 or better; OR
- completion of Level 112 at an English Language School (ELS) in the U.S.; OR
- a score of 5.5 or better on the academic IELTS; OR
- a SAT Critical Reading sub-score of 400 or higher; OR
- students transferring from a U.S. college or university may satisfy the English proficiency requirement by the completion of one semester of Freshman English Composition I with a C or better grade. If the student is transferring from a school that is on the quarter system they would have to complete Freshman Composition I & II with a C or better grade.
Our Intensive English Programs are open to students who completed high school and score:
- between 40 and 60 on the TOEFL iBT test; or
- between 430 and 499 on the TOEFL PBT test; or
- between 4.0 and 5.0 on the IELTS test. Upon successful completion of the program, and an institutional TOEFL score of 500, you will be regularly admitted to MNSU.
Intensive English Learning curriculum
Students enrolled in General Education courses will be supported by tutors who will also attend the same classes and guide them in developing strategies for understanding lectures, reading academic content, writing essays, and summarizing academic information in English.
Each participant will have a conversation partner. The conversation partner will assist with pronunciation strategies, cross cultural questions, and strategies for working with the social and academic support systems available on campus.
Culture and learning
Participants will be introduced to MNSU culture and learning expectations as well as strategies that will help them become successful learners as they move toward enrollment as full time university students.
For enrollment information please visit the IELI website or contact:Hiroko Tsuiki
ESL Program Coordinator
Intensive English Language Institute
Minnesota State University, Mankato