Program Review ChecklistPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/assessment/program_review/pr_checklist.html
Up to One Year Before Anticipated Site Visit
- The Department Chair/Director meets with Dean* to review expectations.
- The Department initiates self-study process.
- The Department discusses with and provides to the Dean the names of at least 5 potential external reviewers.
Six Months Before Anticipated Site Visit
- The Dean invites external reviewers, explains review/visit process and expectations, and sets tentative dates for visit based on schedules of external reviewers, department, and administrators.
Two Months Before Scheduled Site Visit
- The Department submits self-study to Dean for final review.
One Month Before Scheduled Site Visit
- The Dean sends final version of self-study to external reviewers and identifies, if any, specific areas of focus.
- Visit arrangements are finalized by department in contact with external reviewers and administrators.
- The Dean sends a copy of self-study to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, and, if appropriate, Dean of Graduate Studies.
- External reviewers meet with department faculty, staff, and students, and review documentation to evaluate program.
- External reviewers should meet with the Dean, and Dean of Graduate Studies if there are graduate programs, for an initial interview and for an exit interview.
- External reviewers should meet with the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean at an appropriate time during the visit.
- The Department processes the reimbursement paperwork for the visit.
One Month Following Site Visit
- The Dean receives the report with recommendations from the external reviewers and forwards it to the department, Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, and, if appropriate, Dean of Graduate Studies.
Two Months Following Site Visit
- The Department submits to the Dean a response to the external reviewers' report and recommendations, and prepares a final set of program recommendations for improvement.
- The Department Chair/Director meets with the Dean, the Dean of Graduate Studies (if appropriate), and the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs to review the findings of the program review and discuss the final set of program review recommendations identified for improvement.
Three months following Site Visit
- The Dean will prepare a brief summary of the meeting, the program review recommendations identified for improvement, and implementation strategies.
- The Dean will submit to Institutional Research, Planning, and Assessment a copy of the department's self-study, the external reviewers' report and recommendations, the department's response and program review recommendations for improvement, and the Dean's program review summary.
* For academic support service units, Academic Affairs will act in the role of the Dean. For student affairs units, the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management will act in the role of the Dean/Vice President.