MacOS X Setup TipsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/busoff/mavmac/setup/
- 8GB minimum RAM suggestion.
- Buy RAM from the Campus Computer Store.
- Purchasing RAM from a reliable source helps ensure a more stable computer.
Note: Some of these Control Panel, Finder / System Preference settings and web browser changes help keep your Mac running fast and stable.
- View Menu: List (unless you like by Icons or Columns)
- Finder Menu; Preferences; set spring loaded folder and windows to short
- Dock: select Animate opening, automatically hide and magnification
- General/Appearance: Number of recent items (none for both applications, documents and servers)
- Firewall Settings
- Date/time: Menu Bar Clock tab - select Display the time with seconds (that way you know if your Mac has frozen if the seconds stop ticking)
- Energy Saver: Put the computer to sleep (never) and uncheck Put the hard disk to sleep when possible
- Keyboard: Key Repeat Rate (fast) Delay Until Repeat (short)
- turn on Energy Saver to automatically turn on machine at desired time.
If installed already or once you install (drag the applications icon to the dock area)
- Main tab -
- Location (type in where you want your default web page)
- Privacy tab (in addition to what is checked or unchecked by default) -
- uncheck; Remember visited pages... (0 days),
- uncheck remember what I enter in forms...
- uncheck remember what I've downloaded
- Accecpt cookies from sites; keep until I close Firefox
- Security tab (in addition to what is checked or unchecked by default) -
- uncheck remember passwords for sites
- Advanced tab (in addition to what is checked or unchecked by default) -
- Network tab
- cache; use up to 0MB of space...
- Network tab
- Safari Menu; select block pop-up windows
- Safair Menu: select Private Browsing
- Safari Menu; Preferences; General tab (your homepage), Autofill (uncheck all), Tabs (enable), uncheck Open "Safe" files after downloading
- with Safari - also run fromt the Safari menu; Reset Safari and also Empty Cache every so often
Office for Mac
- run updates from Microsoft AutoUpdate
- Open Word, turn off recently used file option from the Preferences (general tab) listed under Word Menu
- Open Excel, turn off the recently used file option from the Preferences (general tab) listed under Excel Menu.
- Open PowerPoint, turn off the recently used file option from the Preferences (general tab) listed under Excel Menu.
- Optional: turn off Project Gallery at startup for each program
- Run from Software Update under the Apple Menu
- Run Repair Disk Permissions (after all these installation and whenever you do a lot of installs or after a month or so of use of your computer)
- Utilities folder within the Applications folder; Disk Utility - select Repair Disk Permissions
- Install software updates and Security updates from the Software Update area (Apple Menu or System Preferences area).
- Don't always install the latest System update until its been out for awhile - but install security updates.
- Loose RAM or bad RAM can make your computer unstable.
- Use MavDisk for backup and/or CDs/DVDs, or Flash drives.