Official Withdrawal

Page address:

What is an Official Withdrawal

Official Withdrawal is defined as terminating enrollment in all registered courses for an academic semester at Minnesota State University, Mankato.

Financial Considerations

  • An Official Withdrawal Form, available at the Campus Hub, must be filed in order to receive a percentage refund/credit in accordance with the Official Withdrawal Charts below.
  • If you received financial aid, all or a portion of the aid that was disbursed to you and/or your student account may be required to be repaid.
  • If the student requesting withdrawal has signed a residence hall contract, an exit interview with the Office of Residential Life is necessary in order to establish financial liability for room and/or board charges for the academic semester up to the date of withdrawal. Credit amounts due to the withdrawing students are determined based on a pro-rated schedule applicable to the individual student’s contract plan.
  • Refunds/credits of tuition and fees for withdrawal are based on Minnesota Colleges and University's refund policy.

Academic Considerations

Helpful Documents

Official Withdrawal Charts

The following withdrawal charts detail the withdrawal refund percentages.

The Withdrawal Date

Is the date that the Campus Hub is officially notified.

Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid

The Federal formula requires a return of Title IV aid if you received Federal assistance in the form of a:

  • Pell Grant
  • Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Stafford Loan
  • PLUS Loan

  • and withdrew on or before completing 60 percent of the semester or enrollment period.
  • The Federal government mandates that if you withdraw from all classes, you may only keep the financial aid you have "earned" up to the time of withdrawal - See Determing Title IV Federal Aid Earned below.
  • The Title IV funds that were disbursed in excess of the earned amount will be returned to the Federal government by the University.
  • The amount to be returned to the University will be calculated from the date on which you officially withdrew.
  • If any funds are remaining after the return of Title IV aid, they will be used for repayment obligations for Minnesota State University, Mankato's funds, State funds and other private sources.
  • If an unpaid balance(s) exists, all aid sources will be repaid before any funds are returned to you.

Determining Title IV Federal Aid Earned

To determine the amount of aid you earned up to the time of withdrawal, the University will divide the number of calendar days you attended classes by the total number of calendar days in the semester or enrollment period (less any scheduled break of 5 days of more). The resulting percentage is then multiplied by the total Federal funds that were disbursed for the semester or enrollment period. This calculation determines the amount of aid that you are allowed to keep. The unearned amount of aid will be returned to the Federal government by the University. You will receive notification and a bill if there is a balance due.

Returned Title IV Aid Allocation

Funds that are returned to the Federal government are used to reduce the outstanding balances in individual Federal programs.

Financial aid returned by the University must be allocated in the following order:

  1. Unsubsidized FFEL* Stafford Loan,
  2. Subsidized FFEL* Stafford Loan,
  3. Federal Perkins Loan,
  4. FFEL* PLUS (Parent) Loan,
  5. Pell Grant,
  6. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG),
  7. Other Federal loan or grant assistance

*Federal Family Educational Loan

Return of Non-Title IV Funds

  • Refunds of Institutional Funds less the Title IV share are subject to return to State and local aid programs which require a return of funds.
  • The funds are returned in accordance to the ratio of the aid program award to the total Non-Title IV Aid package.

Withdrawal Requests and Questions

Campus Hub, SU117
Fax: 507-389-2227
Telephone: 507-389-1866

Mailing Address:
Minnesota State University, Mankato,
117 Centennial Student Union
Mankato, MN 56001

The following student information is needed for withdrawal processing:

  • Full name
  • Mailing address (where refund, if any, will be sent)
  • Daytime telephone number
  • Student Tech ID number
  • Academic semester of withdrawal.