Federal Direct PLUS LoanPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/campushub/plus/
Applying for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan
CAUTION: Applying for a PLUS or Alternative Loan prior to receiving an Official Award Notice could result in the expiration of the credit check process, which is normally only valid for 90 days.
To apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan, a Master Promissory Note (MPN) is required.
This note incorporates multi-year functionality that will allow the student’s parent to borrow for multiple years without having to complete a Federal Direct PLUS MPN for each requested loan amount.
To apply for a Federal Direct PLUS Loan the following two steps are required.
- Complete an online PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) at www.studentloans.gov on the left hand side under the heading “Master Promissory Note” click on “Complete MPN” and on the middle of the page click on “Parent PLUS”.
- Complete an online request PLUS Loan with the Department of Education at www.studentloans.gov . On the left hand side under the heading “PLUS Loan Processes” click on “Request PLUS loan” and on the middle of the page click on “Parent PLUS”.
Subsequent Federal Direct PLUS Loan Requests
If you need an additional PLUS loan after the initial one is processed please follow the step that follows.
For subsequent PLUS Loan requests you will need to request a PLUS Loan with the Department of Education at www.studentloans.gov under the heading “PLUS Loan Processes”.
Denied Federal Direct PLUS Loans
Dependent students whose parents are denied the Federal Direct PLUS Loan may be eligible to receive additional funds from the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan Program. A denial notice from the Department of Education will be provided to the school; at that time the eligibility for additional funds will be determined and processed according to the student’s request.
The Federal Direct PLUS MPN is valid for up to ten years, provided that the parent borrows within one year from the date the MPN was signed.
If the parent-borrower is applying for Federal Direct PLUS Loan funds for more than one student, a separate PLUS MPN, if needed must be submitted for each student.
Disbursement of Federal Direct PLUS Funds will occur as outlined below:
- If approved, the Department of Education will electronically disburse the funds to Minnesota State Mankato.
- If there is a balance owed on the student's account, Minnesota State Mankato will deduct the remaining charges from the loan.
- If there are funds remaining after University charges are satisfied, those funds will be delivered to either the parent or the student depending on what was chosen in the application process.