VerificationPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/campushub/programs/verification/
What is Verification
Verification is a process by which certain required data elements from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are reviewed for accuracy and completeness. This process can occur before or after a student has been awarded financial aid. The Department of Education or the institution may choose to place an applicant into verification.
If You are Chosen to be Verified
An e-mail notice is sent to the student with a web link directing them to the required information needed to complete the verification process.
Corrections to the FAFSA may be made by the school through this process and students are asked not to make further corrections on their FAFSA without first consulting Student Financial Services
Verifying Income Information
Option 1: IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)
- Go to fafsa.ed.gov
- Log into the 2014-2015 FAFSA Record
- Select “Make FAFSA Corrections”
- Click on the Financial Information tab
- Follow instructions to determine if eligible to use the IRS DRT (If not able to use the IRS DRT complete Option 2)
Option 2: Request 2014 IRS Tax Return Transcript
- Online Request
- Available on the IRS Web site
- Choose Option to GET TRANSCRIPT
- Enter the primary tax filer’s information. Use the address currently on file with the IRS. Generally this will be the address that was listed on the latest tax return filed.
- Click Continue
- In the Type of Transcript field, select “Return Transcript” and in the Tax Year field, select "2014"
- If successfully validated, the web page will indicate a timeframe which tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript.