shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Common Questions

Page address:

Bills and Payment

When will I get my bill?

A postcard is mailed to the student’s permanent address and an e-mail is sent to each student’s University email account (MavMAIL address) prior to each semester to remind them to check their account balances online. Student billing information is accessed through the University’s e-services website,; semester invoices are not mailed.

What will be on my bill?
Your bill includes charges for each semester.
  • The cost for your classes is tuition & fees. The amount of tuition & fees depends on how many credits you’re enrolled in, whether at the undergraduate or graduate level, and your residency status.
  • Some classes and programs charge additional fees to cover specialized costs as well; those amounts appear in the course description notes when you register.
  • If you live in a residence hall, there will be charges for the room & meal plan you selected.
  • If you charged your textbook/supplies purchases at Barnes & Noble at the start of the semester, that amount is included.
  • Aside from these charges, most other miscellaneous amounts will depend on activities or actions you take, such as health services charges, parking or library fines, graduation fee, etc.
I am taking online classes. Is there an additional charge?

Courses offered online are charged an additional $36.25 per credit.

I am taking summer classes. Will I be charged differently?

The tuition & fees rates are set up the same for fall, spring and summer, with similar billing timelines. You can find information about tuition at, and the Important Dates are available at

How do I apply for reciprocity?

Reciprocity is a formal agreement between states that qualify nonresident student to be charged less than the nonresident tuition rate, sometimes as low as the resident rate. South Dakota residents do not need to apply for reciprocity. Wisconsin residents apply online at North Dakota residents apply online at Students will need to meet application deadlines, as reciprocity status is not granted retroactively. For more information, visit

When is my bill due?

The “paid in full” due date is the 25th business day of the semester. This means your student account balance should be zero by this date whether you are using financial aid or personal funds to pay your bill. You can find the due date for a specific semester at

There is another important billing date to be aware of that may require a payment. There are Registration Guarantee Dates that require students to meet minimum payment requirements to remain enrolled; the first of these guarantee dates comes 15 business days before the semester begins and the last one is on the 5th day of the semester. Students who do not meet the minimum requirements will have their registrations cancelled, so there are many warnings and alerts sent to any who are at risk. Find more information about what is required to prevent registration cancellation at

How do I pay my bill?

You may pay online with an E-check or U.S.-issued Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit card directly to the University through the E-services website, Online payments are immediately posted to your student account. Parents who wish to view their student’s account balance or pay online must work with their student to obtain bill pay proxy access on E-services.

Cash, checks and signed international or U.S.-issued Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit cards are accepted for payment in person at the University Cashier’s office, located at 128 Wigley Administration Center.
The Cashier’s service window hours during the academic year are 8:15 am–4:00 pm Monday through Friday. Summer hours are 7:45 am–3:30 pm.

Checks may be mailed to:
University Cashier
Minnesota State University, Mankato
128 Wigley Administration Center
Mankato, MN 56001
Please remember to note the student’s StarID or Tech ID number in the memo section of the check to ensure credit to the proper account.

If you enrolled in a payment plan with Nelnet/FACTS, your payments will be routed through that process to Minnesota State Mankato. These payments may take up to ten days to be received and posted to your student account.

Do I need to make a down payment to keep my classes?

Not necessarily. If the University has your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or if you enrolled in a Nelnet/FACTS payment plan for the semester by the published registration guarantee date, you will meet the requirement to stay registered in your classes. Those actions do take a few days to get updated on your university records, though, so be sure you see the green “GO” message on your E-services Bills and Payment page. A $300 payment will also guarantee your registration and you can pay online through E-services or in person at the Cashiers Office. If you need help, please contact us before the registration guarantee date so we can intervene to protect your classes if necessary. Find more information about how to be sure your registration won’t be cancelled at

Can I do a payment plan?

Yes, there are a couple different options when it comes to payment plans.
First, you can enroll in a Nelnet/FACTS payment plan which is for one semester at a time and requires automatic monthly payments through the semester. Enrollment is done on E-services and there are timelines to get signed up for the different monthly plans. Information is provided at If you have more questions, you can visit the Cashiers Office to learn more.

Another kind of payment plan is offered for students who are earning work-study and get paid every two weeks through payroll deposits. If you are interested in setting up this kind of payment plan, visit our Accounts Receivable Director in the Student Financial Services office.
What if a third party agency is paying my tuition?

Third party awards (i.e., Rehabilitation Services, Veterans Services, and Jobs & Training) are received by the University on behalf of students. If an agency provides written authorization (signed contract), the funding will be reflected on the student’s account. Students who receive the authorization forms directly from their third party agency need to submit the form to Student Financial Services for processing. The University will invoice the third party agency directly for authorized charges.

What happens if I do not pay my bill by the due date?

You will have three weeks after the due date to get your account paid in full before any penalties go into effect. If your account is still unpaid at that time it is considered past due. Past due accounts are subject to a late fee and an unpaid balance hold that prevents future registration transactions, the ability to receive official transcripts, and the ability to receive a diploma. The hold is released once your account is paid in full.

What if I can’t pay my bill by the due date? Will my classes be dropped?

Once you’ve met the minimum financial requirements to stay enrolled in your classes by the 5th day of the semester, you are financially obligated to pay for those classes. The University will not typically initiate a course drop after the 5th day, but if you drop all of your classes early on in the semester you may qualify for a partial credit or refund under the official withdrawal policy.

You will have three weeks after the due date to pay before your account is considered past due. Once it is past due, a late fee may be charged and a registration hold may be placed. This hold prevents you from registering for the next semester until you have your account paid in full. It is important to get your account paid by the end of the semester to prevent further collection penalties; if you need to, you can contact the Cashiers Office to set up a payment plan to keep your account from being referred for collection and subject to additional fees and interest charges.

What if my bill is wrong?

Most of your charges have been generated automatically based on your actions. If you register for a class, a charge is generated. If you sign a residence hall contract, a charge is generated. There are some charges that are manually entered so we recognize that errors can occur despite our best efforts. Monitor your account routinely, at and question any charges you do not understand. Verify your class schedule, and become knowledgeable about the financial implications of various deadlines and due dates.

The staff at the Campus Hub can assist you with billing questions and are happy to research account transactions on your behalf. Don’t let your questions go unanswered, because the earlier a problem is detected the easier it will be to resolve.

What if I change my mind and drop my classes? Do I still have to pay for them?

Students are allowed to make changes to their class schedules without financial penalty through the tuition obligation date, which occurs the fifth day of the semester or one day after the first scheduled class meeting, whichever is later.
Tuition & fees charges are not removed for courses dropped after the tuition obligation date, except as provided through an approved course exchange or tuition appeal, or as part of an official withdrawal from the university. Course exchanges are handled through the Registration Help Center. A Tuition Refund Appeal form is available from the Campus Hub and must be submitted when the courses are dropped, no later than the end of the semester. Documentation is required to support the reason for an appeal; approval of appeals is based on the verification of extreme extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control that include unforeseen medical situations, military deployment, death of a close family member, etc.

When do I need to drop my courses so I am not charged?

You can drop courses through the fifth day of the semester without financial obligation. If you drop a course after the fifth day you will still be responsible to pay for it, unless it is part of an approved course exchange or tuition appeal. You can find out more about dropping courses at

If you drop all of your courses, which is considered withdrawing from the university, you may be eligible for a partial reduction of charges. Information about official withdrawals is found at

If I decide not to attend Minnesota State Mankato after I registered for classes, what should I do?

Remember that when you registered for classes you accepted a financial obligation to pay for those classes. If you decide not to attend, or to stop attending classes, you must notify the University through the Official Withdrawal process in a timely manner by following the steps outlined at  

Students living in campus residence hall must also arrange with the Office of Residential Life for a room checkout interview to establish plans to vacate as well as to determine financial liability for room and/or meal plan charges up to the date of withdrawal.

Refunds/credits of tuition and fees for withdrawal are based on the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Refund Policy. A student’s withdrawal date is determined by the date that all courses for the semester are dropped/withdrawn on the registration system or the date the Campus Hub receives notification of the withdrawal, whichever is earlier. Important Note: Students who withdraw and have already received financial aid may be required to repay all or part of those funds. The amount of repayment will depend on the withdrawal date.

My account is in collections. Who should I contact?

If your account was referred to Minnesota Department of Revenue you can contact that office, also called Minnesota Collections Enterprise, or MCE, by calling 651-556-3003.

If your account was referred to Williams and Fudge you can contact this private collection agency by phone at 800-849-9791.

If you aren’t sure where your account was referred or if you have other questions, you can contact the Cashiers Office at the university by email at or call 507-389-2259.


Financial Aid

I want to use financial aid. If I apply, how much will I get?

When you submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you receive a Student Aid Report that provides you with your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Your EFC determines how much financial aid you can receive from the various programs. When your EFC is lower you are more likely to qualify for grant funds. Even if your EFC isn’t low enough to receive grants, you may still qualify to borrow from Federal loan programs. You might need to look at other loan options, too, if the Federal loans aren’t enough to cover your expenses. Once you receive your financial aid award notice you can review what is available to you.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Applying for financial aid starts with an online application called the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA. This is done at a federal website, You’ll need to set up your logon credentials first then enter in all the information requested. Parent information is often required on the FAFSA as well. You can choose the schools you want to receive your FAFSA information. Minnesota State University, Mankato will be listed as an option, or you can enter the school code 002360. Once your FAFSA is received you will begin receiving messages from the University about your application. Sometimes additional information, forms or documents are needed before you can find out what aid is available to you, all outlined in your financial aid award notice.

The FAFSA is an annual process, so you’ll need to renew your application at each year you want access to financial aid.

Find out more at

Can I get work-study?

Limited Federal and State funds are available to students whose Expected Family Contribution (EFC) indicates high need and who indicate an interest in work-study employment on the FAFSA. Since the funds are limited, those who file a FAFSA in the earliest weeks of the application period each year have a greater chance to receive a work-study award.
Work-study awards provide funding for a variety of part-time jobs on campus, but students without a work-study award can also apply for part-time employment with campus departments. The job search and application process are available to enrolled students on the Career Development Center’s Handshake site, at

How do I apply for work-study?

First you’ll need to have Federal Work-Study or State Work-Study listed on your financial aid award, and complete the E-services process to accept (or reduce) your award. This is necessary because you are telling us you want to commit your time to work at a part-time job to earn your work-study.

Then you can search for and apply for your work-study job by setting up an account on the Career Development Center’s Handshake site, Once you are hired you may begin working on or after the first day of the semester and you will be paid through direct deposit every two weeks for your actual time worked.

Where can I apply for scholarships?

Many University departments offer scholarships that you can apply for through the Scholarship Finder site at For more information visit

If I get a scholarship will that affect my other financial aid?

It might, but a scholarship is free money so it is always a good resource to receive. The University will review whether your scholarship, combined with your other financial aid awards, takes you over the limit of your financial aid budget for the year. If not, no adjustments are needed. If there is an adjustment, it is most often that a loan is reduced to allow the scholarship to fit into the financial aid budget. While it may not immediately provide you with more money, it will reduce your total loan debt in the future.

I just received a scholarship check. Can I just cash it?

Federal financial aid regulations require that students notify the University about all forms of financial assistance that they receive, including private scholarships. Scholarship checks made payable to the student must be endorsed by the student and submitted to Student Financial Services (by mail at 120 Wigley Administration Center, Mankato, MN 56001 or in person at the Campus Hub) in order to be recorded and processed as a financial aid award.

Important notes about scholarships: Unless the donor of scholarship funds indicates otherwise, the amount awarded will be distributed in two equal payments for the academic year, one-half in fall semester and one-half in spring semester. Additionally, unless the donor provided specific approval for payment at any enrollment level, scholarships require full-time enrollment (12 or more credits) in order to be processed. Scholarships are added to a student’s financial aid record when notification is provided; however, payments are not applied to student charges until the scholarship funds are received and deposited with the University.

How do I get a Federal loan?

Federal Direct Loans are available to most students who are enrolled in at least six credits and are included as part of the financial aid award package.
There are two different types of Federal Direct Loans for student-borrowers, Subsidized and Unsubsidized. The Subsidized Loan is a need-based loan for which the federal government pays the interest on the loan while the student is in school and during periods of deferment, and is available only to undergraduate students.

The Unsubsidized Loan is a non-need based loan; the federal government does not pay the interest while the student is in school. It is the student’s responsibility to pay accrued interest while in school, or choose to capitalize the interest. Unsubsidized Loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students. More information on Federal Direct Loans is available at

Where can I find out if I need to do something yet to get a financial aid award?

You can always contact the Campus Hub for assistance, or you can log in to the Financial Aid Status site with your StarID and Password,

Do I have to do anything when I get my financial aid award?

Many financial aid programs require additional processing steps or responses. Federal student loans, for instance, require entrance loan counseling and completion of a Master Promissory Note, because the student-borrower needs to understand and agree to repayment terms. Student with Federal or State Work-Study awards must accept the award and apply for part-time employment opportunities offered by campus departments to be hired to work and receive these funds as payroll earnings.

Students can accept, reduce and/or decline financial aid awards offered by logging in with StarID and Password at and clicking on “Financial Aid” on the left-side navigation menu. Once official financial aid awards are available to view on this site, students can complete many required response and acceptance steps.
An annual Financial Aid Award Checklist is also provided on the Student Financial Services web page,, for additional reference.

How much money will I need?

No two students will have the exact same expenses, so it depends on how much you pay for various items such as rent, food, books, transportation and other living expenses. The University develops annual Cost of Attendance (COA) amounts to estimate an average total cost to use as a guideline for what a student would need to live in the Mankato area and attend Minnesota State Mankato for nine months. You can find the current COA information at

How is my Expected Family Contribution figured out? Is that how much I have to pay?

Your Expected Family Contribution, or EFC, is determined by a federal formula that includes the information you reported on the FAFSA and is the amount the FAFSA formula determined you and your family have the ability to fund, whether by personal payments or through student loans. To learn more about which elements of the FAFSA go into determining your EFC, visit

Your EFC determines your eligibility for need-based financial aid when compared to your total Cost of Attendance, but it is not equal to the amount you need to pay the University. Your bill each semester will include the cost of your classes, textbooks if you charge any through that program, and room and board if you live in the residence halls.

Will financial aid pay for all my classes?

In general, eligibility for financial aid requires enrollment in courses that apply to a degree, certification or licensure.

Federal and state regulations allow the University to award financial aid for up to 30 remedial/developmental credits. Likewise, graduate students taking undergraduate credits may receive financial aid funds if a written statement is provided from the graduate program advisor verifying that the undergraduate credits are required to complete the graduate program of study. Courses taken toward an additional major or minor after a degree is earned usually do not qualify for most financial aid. Certain private educational loan options may be available. Audited courses do not count toward a degree and are, therefore, ineligible for financial aid funding. Credits earned by testing out of courses are also ineligible for financial aid funding. Courses repeated more than once may not be eligible for financial aid funding.

Where do I get money to buy my books?

The University has set up a special arrangement with the Barnes & Noble bookstore on campus to allow eligible students to charge their textbook/supply purchases for a limited time at the start of each semester. Eligible students receive an email notification just prior to the textbook charge period, and can confirm eligibility by logging in with StarID and Password at
More information about the bookstore charge program is available at

How do I get my financial aid money to pay my living expenses?

Financial aid funds received on behalf of students are applied first to tuition and fees, residence hall charges and other university charges; if the amount received is in excess of the amount needed to pay the account balance in full, a payment is made to the student. This Payment to Student amount that can be found on E-services is most often called a disbursement or an overage.

The University processes financial aid disbursements/overages, student payroll earnings (which include work-study), and refunds to students through direct deposit. Students can enroll in direct deposit through the Direct Deposit Setup screen on E-services, through either the Financial Aid or Student Employment menus. Students not enrolled in the direct deposit program will receive checks mailed to their permanent address on file with the University.

Why don’t I get a Pell grant?

For the 2018-2019 school year, Federal Pell Grant funds are available to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree and whose Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is $5,328 or less. The Federal Pell Grant program requires a minimum enrollment of one credit and is prorated for enrollment below 12 credits.

Will I get a Minnesota State Grant?

The Minnesota State Grant is funded through the Minnesota Office of Higher Education (MOHE), and are available to qualified Minnesota resident students pursuing their first undergraduate degree, provided the FAFSA is received by September 25, 2018 for Fall 2018 or February 11, 2019 for Spring 2019. The Minnesota State Grant program requires a minimum enrollment of three credits and has a maximum number of allowable credits that limits eligibility to the equivalent of eight full-time semesters of enrollment.

The Minnesota State Grant program is unique because it defines full-time enrollment as 15 credits and the award amount changes at each credit level. For most types of financial aid, an adjustment of the award occurs when the student goes from full-time (12 or more credits) to ¾ time (9-11 credits), ½ time (6-8 credits) or below ½ time (1-5 credits) enrollment. However, the Minnesota State Grant amount will be adjusted if the credit level changes, which can affect a student’s account balance.

Why didn’t my Minnesota State Grant pay out at the full amount?

The full Minnesota State Grant award is available at enrollment of 15 credits per term, so the most common reason the grant pays out a lower amount is that the student enrolled in less than 15 credits. There is also a limit to the how long a student can receive a Minnesota State Grant, which is no more than the equivalent of eight semesters of full-time attendance.

Is there any assistance for childcare?

The Minnesota Post-Secondary Child Care Grant program provides funding to eligible Minnesota resident students. To learn more and apply, go to

What is the difference between a sub loan, unsub loan, and other loan options?

Sub and unsub loans are both part of the Federal Direct Student Loan program, which means you are borrowing from the federal government. Sub is short for subsidized, which means the government covers the cost of your loan interest while you’re in school; unsub is short for unsubsidized, which means you are responsible for the cost of your loan interest while you’re in school. These loans don’t require a credit approval but you do need to complete entrance loan counseling and a master promissory note when you first begin borrowing from the Federal Direct Loan program.

When you have an amount for other loan options on your award, it means you have the ability to borrow a private educational loan from a lender of your choice or a parent (if you are a dependent student) can borrow a Federal PLUS Loan from the federal government. You can find more information about these other loan options at

Which private loan should I choose?

That’s a tricky one to answer.The most favorable choice will depend on your individual financial situation so there is not one right decision that fits all.  

If you have an amount listed on your financial aid award for Other Loan Options, you may apply for a loan in addition to the amount in Federal Direct Loans available to you. There are two primary kinds of Other Loan Options: a private educational loan the student borrows from a lender of choice, or a Federal PLUS Loan the parent of a dependent student borrows from the federal government. Both types of loans will require credit approval and the private educational loan will likely require the student to have a credit-worthy cosigner. More about Other Loan Options is available at

If you choose a private educational loan you can work with any lender who offers them. You can also find an online private loan comparison tool called FASTChoice at if you are interested in learning more about the lenders most commonly used by Minnesota State Mankato students and/or applying to one of them.

Can my parents take out a loan so I don’t have to?

Parents of undergraduate students with acceptable credit histories may borrow from the Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) program. The maximum amount a parent can borrow is the number shown on the student’s financial aid award as Other Loan Options. The Federal PLUS Loan includes a feature that may be helpful for families who find it challenging to receive credit approval; a dependent student whose parent’s application is denied the Federal PLUS Loan may be eligible to receive additional funds from the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan program.

Does my financial aid disburse to me first or the school first?

When financial aid from grants, scholarships, or loans is processed it is first applied to your bill with the University, to pay toward all eligible charges. If the total financial aid is more than the total of these charges, a payment – also called a disbursement - is made to the student. On E-services in the Bills and Payment menu, the Account Detail screen will indicate a Payment to Student amount if there is a disbursement scheduled. A disbursement is paid as a direct deposit to the student’s designated bank account if a direct deposit authorization has been set up, or as a check that is mailed to the student’s permanent address.

Work-study earnings are not automatically applied to your bill with the University, but instead are paid directly to you as you work and report hours through the payroll process every two weeks.

When will I get my financial aid disbursement?

Financial aid is typically split evenly over the two semesters of an academic year so half is paid out in Fall Semester and half in Spring Semester, provided the required application and acceptance steps have been completed.

Financial aid funds (except work-study earnings) first get applied to pay the amounts due for the student’s eligible university charges; if there is more financial aid than is needed to pay those charges a payment is made to the student for the overage. A student may still have unpaid non-eligible charges on his/her university account after the overage payment from financial aid and is responsible to pay those charges in full.

Each semester financial aid funds are processed beginning just after the first five days of the semester and then twice weekly thereafter. The first disbursements paid to students through direct deposit typically occur at the end of the second week of each semester. To find the first scheduled disbursement date for each semester, refer to the Important Dates information at

Work-study awards are not applied directly to student bills; work-study earnings are paid through the bi-weekly student payroll process. Students receive those funds directly through scheduled direct deposits after reporting hours worked at their assigned jobs.

If I register late, will I still get my financial aid?

Registering late could have an impact. Financial aid that is ready for processing is first applied based on your registration as of the fifth day of the semester. If more aid is received or if registration changes occur after this, that will be reviewed in the routine processing that continues throughout the rest of the semester. Some aid programs have deadlines so registering late could prevent you from receiving those funds. For instance if you have a Pell Grant your eligibility is based on your enrollment level as of the fifth day of the semester. If you requested a private loan and that money is received but you are not registered, those funds may need to be sent back and you would need to re-request them. While you may still be able to get financial aid for credits that are added late, it is always best to have your registration completed on or before the fifth day of the semester.

What kinds of financial aid can I get as a graduate student?

Graduate students who submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may be eligible for Federal Work-Study Graduate Assistantships, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan or private educational loans. The Postsecondary Child Care Grant program is also available to eligible Minnesota residents to help with child care expenses; this requires a separate application found at

Many graduate assistantships are available as well; while these are funded by the University and are not financial aid, these positions offer both salary and tuition benefits. Departments who hire graduate assistantships post their opportunities on the Human Resources page at

I am taking a class at another school this semester. Can my financial aid pay for it?

While you would still need to pay the other school directly, you may be able to receive financial aid to fund the cost of that class. Your first step is to request a financial aid consortium agreement. On the front end, the process requires an academic review to confirm the class at the other school is a satisfactory substitute for a class within your program; if the agreement is approved and you complete the class, you will also need to provide an official transcript from that school back to Minnesota State Mankato to keep your financial aid eligibility. Your academic advisor can offer guidance with this, with more details also provided at

I am studying abroad. Can I get more financial aid to help pay for my travel and other extra expenses?

Yes. A process exists for you to work with the Center for Education Abroad and Away (CEAA) and the Student Financial Services office to determine whether you qualify for an adjustment to your financial aid package based on any added education abroad and away expense. Visit the CEAA at

My parent lost his/her job. Can I get any more financial aid because of this?

The extent to which your financial aid eligibility can change will depend on a number of factors. Your specific situation can be reviewed within a process called Special Circumstances to see if the data reported on your FAFSA can be adjusted by the University, and then if those changes create more financial aid eligibility for you. Your first step is to contact the Campus Hub to request an appointment with a Financial Aid Advisor. You can also find more information about this process at

How do I know what I can get for financial aid in the summer?

If you have a FAFSA for the academic year already on file, you will receive a summer financial aid award notice after you’ve registered for summer classes. Generally summer awards are determined beginning mid-April. You can find more information about summer term financial aid at

Will my GPA affect my financial aid?

It can. There are Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards (SAPS) that a student is required to meet to maintain eligibility for financial aid. Undergraduate students must maintain at least a 2.00 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) and graduate students must maintain at least a 3.00 GPA.

There are other standards besides GPA that students must maintain, completion percentage and maximum timeframe. Not meeting the minimum cumulative GPA or completion percentage at the end of a semester will put a student in a financial aid SAPS warning status; if the standards are not met by the end of the next semester, financial aid eligibility will be suspended. Exceeding the number of credits allowed for maximum timeframe results in immediate suspension of financial aid eligibility.

Student Financial Services recognizes that individual students may have extenuating circumstances that may have prevented them from maintaining satisfactory progress. Therefore, there is an appeal process available. Please refer to the information at to view the entire policy and procedures.

How much financial aid do I have to pay back if I withdraw after my classes have started?

Students earn their financial aid by attending and completing classes. The University is required to return any financial aid funds back to grant, scholarship and loan programs that has not been earned by the student. The amount earned is determined by the date the student withdraws so a review occurs whenever an official withdrawal is processed. Likewise, if an instructor issues a failing grade s/he is required to report the last date of attendance for a review to determine if a return of financial aid funds is needed. A more in-depth explanation of how returns are calculated is provided at



What is my StarID?

All students admitted to Minnesota State Mankato are assigned a StarID, an eight-character randomly-generated identifier formatted as two letters followed by four numbers followed by two letters. The StarID is used to log in to a number of student portals and University-managed sites, such as E-services, D2L Brightspace and MavMAIL.

You can find more information about your StarID at

How do I sign up for direct deposit?

Direct deposit authorizations are created and updated on E-services. The Direct Deposit Setup screen can be accessed through either the Financial Aid menu or the Student Employment menu. Students are advised to review the information periodically to be sure the bank account information is still current and correct.

I lost my MavCARD. What do I do?

Since your MavCARD can serve a number of functions, there may be multiple immediate actions to take in order to minimize any potential financial loss. You can visit for a complete list.
If you need to get a replacement MavCARD you can request one at the MavCARD Office during business hours and you will need to pay a $15 replacement fee to receive your new card.

Where is lost & found?

University Security’s Lost & Found Division located in Wiecking Center Room 222 is the main site. There are various locations across campus that serve as satellite lost & found sites. For a complete list, visit

How do I get a transcript?

If you need an unofficial transcript, you can view and print one through E-services by selecting Get Academic Record, or you can request one from the Campus Hub through an online form provided at Unofficial transcripts are provided free of charge.

If you need an official transcript, you can request it with your StarID and Password at, the National Student Clearinghouse Student Self Service website. There is a charge for official transcripts, which can vary depending on the delivery method requested.

Note: Schools within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system can utilize the eTranscript process to pull your transcript free of charge. Contact the school that needs your transcript to initiate this process.

For more information about transcripts, visit

Does the campus provide a notary public service?

Yes, there are campus employees who are licensed Notaries Public, including the staff at the Campus Hub. Visit for more information.

I want to be a full-time student. How many credits should I take?

As an undergraduate student working toward a Bachelor’s degree, you are considered a full-time student if you enroll in at least 12 credits each semester. However, keep in mind that most academic programs require a minimum of 120 credits to earn a degree which would take an average of 15 credits each fall & spring semester over four years.

The University has a banded tuition rate for 12-18 undergraduate credits, so the cost is the same within that range; therefore, it can make good financial sense to enroll in at least 15-16 credits each semester to get more value from your tuition investment.

Another consideration related to financial aid if this applies to you: The Minnesota State Grant program requires a student enroll in 15 credits to receive the full grant award with lower amounts paid out at each credit below 15. Even at 12 credits, the amount of MN Grant dollars available to fund the same tuition cost could be significantly lower.

If you are a graduate student working toward a Master’s degree, the University considers you full-time if you are enrolled in at least six credits per semester.

Where can I find a job?

The job search and application process are available to enrolled students on the Career Development Center’s Handshake site, at

Where can I apply for graduate assistantships?

You can find available graduate assistant and teaching assistant positions on the Human Resources page at Refer to the each position’s Notice of Vacancy details for further guidance on how to apply.

I have a documented disability. Where can I find assistance?

Accessibility Resources staff provide support for students with disabilities. You can contact them by phone at 507-389-2825 or visit the office located in 132 Memorial Library. Additional information is provided online at

How can I get a temporary parking permit?

Temporary parking permits are available at the Campus Hub, from University Security or from Facilities Services. Prices range from no charge to $20/week depending on the type of permit.

If you already purchased a parking permit that you cannot access because your vehicle is out of use (and your vehicle is not parked in a University lot), you can get a free temporary permit for a substitute vehicle that will carry the same privileges as your purchased permit.

If you need a temporary handicap parking permit you can find more information about those requirements at

Residence hall students can request temporary permits for their guests from the front desk staff at each residence hall.

Guests attending a university meeting or conference should receive guidance from the host department on parking accommodations. Departments hosting special events are responsible for identifying parking needs through the University Conference Center to ensure adequate space will be available in the Visitors’ Paylot; alternate space will be assigned if needed.

A department may wish to provide free parking to special guests and may purchase Visitors’ Paylot passes from the Cashiers Office for this purpose. Note that these passes are for individual guests, not large groups attending special events; University students and employees are not eligible to use department-funded passes to obtain free parking in the Visitors’ Paylot.

How much does it cost to park in the Visitor’s pay lot?

Individuals may park in Lot 4 at the rate of $4 minimum (first hour), and $2 per hour thereafter.

Can I get a refund on my parking permit?

Yes. The refund amount will depend on the time of year. For instance, an academic year permit can be turned in within the first two weeks of fall semester for a full refund; after this time and through the first two weeks of spring semester, a partial refund is available. Summer term parking permits can be turned in through the first week of summer term for a full refund.

How do I get liability insurance?

Students who are notified that they need to purchase liability insurance can visit the Cashiers Office to pay the $12 fee and receive their policy document.

What off campus housing choices are available?

You can find information about off campus housing through the Student Activities office, with online resources posted at

What type of meal plan options are available?

Residential Life provides lots of information about meal plan options, including options for students living off campus, at

How can I change my meal plan?

Meal plan changes are coordinated through the Office of Residential Life, located in Room 111 Carkoski Commons. Keep in mind there are deadlines each semester for meal plan changes; more information is provided at

Who are the VA certifying officials on campus and where are they located?

The VA certifying officials are located within the Office of the Registrar, on the main level of the Wigley Administration Center, Room 132. Information about Veterans’ Certification, including contact information for the School Certifying Officials, is provided at

Does the campus provide any general support to veterans and if so where can I access those services?

Tim Adams, Military & Veterans Success Coordinator, and David Schrader, Veterans Outreach Officer, have offices in the Veterans Resource Center and provide services from this location, found on the main level of Centennial Student Union, Room 192.