shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato


Page address:

The Federal and State Work-Study Programs provide income to assist students in meeting the cost of attendance at eligible public and private post-secondary institutions.  The Federal Work-Study Program is funded by the Federal Government.  The State Work-Study Program is funded by the State of Minnesota.  Students earn income from these programs only by working in Federal or State Work-Study positions assigned by the Minnesota State University, Mankato Student Financial Services office.  

How are Federal and State Work-Study Programs Awarded?

The Federal and State Work-Study Programs are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on your financial need.  The average Minnesota State University, Mankato Federal and State Work-Study award ranges from approximately $1,280-$3,840 per year.  Funding for both programs are awarded to eligible students until the funds are exhausted. 

The Federal and State Work-Study Programs are identical in award amounts, work opportunities and the application process.  State Work-Study funding may only be awarded to students who fit the Minnesota residency criteria.  However, some students who fit the Minnesota residency criteria may be awarded Federal Work-Study due to the exhaustion of State Work-Study funding. 

[Back to Top]

What type of jobs does Work-Study include?

Minnesota State University, Mankato offers a variety of general work-study opportunities for students.  On-campus work-study positions include a wide array of duties such as clerical, child care, tutoring, library positions, security, lifeguards and laboratory assistants.  Off-campus work-study positions are referred to as Community Service opportunities.  These positions are designed to provide direct public service to the community.  Most of these positions are for students whose majors or previous work experiences are in education, social work, parks and recreation, community health, etc.  Student Financial Services will coordinate the placement of these positions for interested and eligible students.  Students are responsible to provide their own transportation to these off-campus work-study sites. 

[Back to Top]

How many hours can a Work-Study student work per week?

Federal and State Work-Study students cannot work more than 20 hours per week, but your award is based on up to 15 hours per week. 

  • Students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits per term.
  • The minimum wage for Federal and State Work-Study is $9.65 as of January 1, 2018.
  • Students are paid bi-weekly.
  • Paycheck and Direct Deposit information.

[Back to Top]

Are there Work-Study Graduate Assistantships?

Federal Work-Study Graduate Assistantships offer graduate students unique opportunities for work experience in a learning environment while earning income.  The positions carry a partial tuition stipend and a salary.  Graduate Assistantships are limited to 20 hours a week. 

[Back to Top]

What is the application process for Work-Study?

To apply for the Federal or State Work-Study Programs, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually. FAFSA becomes available October 1 for the next academic year. Eligibility for the Federal and State Work-Study Programs is based upon your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) determined from the FAFSA.  You may apply online at To be considered, you must answer “YES” to the FAFSA question regarding your interest in Work-Study employment. Work-Study funds are limited; submitting a FAFSA as early as possible each year provides the greatest opportunity for eligible students to receive an award that includes Work-Study.

Check List*:

  • Complete the Student Response Form Process.
  • Receive the notice of Work-Study assignment.
  • Contact the Department (work-study site) on the first day of class for contract and schedule.
  • Complete tax forms at department (bring original social security card and one picture ID) and sign work study work authorization form.

*Only applies to students who have received a Notice of Eligibility Letter from Student Financial Services indicating a Work-Study award.

[Back to Top]

How are students assigned to their work?

Minnesota State University, Mankato Student Financial Services assigns students to their work site based on the student response to the Work-Study Assignment Questionnaire and department requests.  Shortly before the first term begins, a notice will be sent to the student stating their assignment, the location of their work site, name of their supervisor, and instructions to pick up the contract at the department site on the first day of the term. 

The student is to complete the proper tax forms (W-4 and I-9) at the department.  Students must bring their original Social Security card and one ID (MavCARD or driver's license) to complete these forms.  The student and their supervisor sign off on the work study authorization form.  After completion of these forms, the department submits the work study work authorization form and the tax forms to Business Services, Student Payroll Department for processing.   The department will give to the student a copy of the payday schedule, timesheet deadline and maximum workhours schedule.  The student will make arrangements with the department regarding a work schedule and the reporting of hours worked.

[Back to Top]

How is Work-Study paid to students?

While work-study is part of the overall financial aid award it is not applied directly to the student’s charges with the University like other types of aid. Once a student begins working for the hiring department, the hours worked are reported on Student eTime. Each pay period, net earnings are paid directly to the student by direct deposit or check.

If work-study earnings are needed as a resource to cover unpaid University charges, the student must initiate those payments. If the student expects earnings received by the published due date will not be enough to pay the University balance in full, a work-study payment plan may be requested before the due date. Students who meet the terms of an established work-study payment plan are protected from past due account penalties. To set up a work-study payment plan, meet with the Accounts Receivable Director in the Student Financial Services office (WA120).

[Back to Top]