shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Gen Ed & Major Advising

Page address:

General Education Advising

If you would like an assessment of your general education courses, have questions about fulfilling the requirements of general education, want to know if you have met cultural diversity, math competency or English competency requirements, please stop by the student relations coordinator's office for an appointment. The SRC will be able to look at the courses you have already taken and together we will create a plan for the rest of your career at MSU. It is extremely important to have your general education assessed before you are planning to graduate in order to avoid any extra coursework you may have to take.

Major Advising

The College of Arts and Humanities prefers to keep the majority of major advising at the department level in order to give students the opportunity to speak with an experienced faculty member within their chosen department for major advising, to allow students to get to know the faculty that will be teaching the majority of their classes, and to obtain advising directly from the source of the major. Students who are considering a specific major, have questions about, or are showing interest in majors within the college are welcome to visit with the SRC to get more information about all majors and departments. The SRC will provide students with information, direct the student to the department they have indicated an interest in, and may also provide names of faculty members that share similar interests.

Declaring a Major

If you would like to declare a major, go to the department office of the major. There, you will receive information about applying to the department. For more information, please contact the department of your major.