Getting Started - Career Success GuidePage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/cdc/students/career/careersuccessguide.html
This is a 4 step guide to help you find career planning success. We encourage you to try out activities from every step, but feel free to customize this plan and make it your own!
Learning about yourself by discovering your interests, skills, and values and how they relate to the world of work.
- Take an interest inventory from the Career Development Center and meet with one of the counselors to discuss results
- Consider taking a FYEX 100 class or enrolling in CSP 110, Decision Making for Career and Life
- Get to know your academic advisor
- Read the Handbook for Students Choosing or Changing Their Major, available in the Career Development Center
- Get involved with campus activities or organizations
- Identify possible major and career fields
- Get good grades and earn a high GPA
- Enroll in classes that fulfill general education courses but also potential majors
Gathering information about occupations and relating information from self-assessment to possible career and major options.
- Research majors and careers in the Career Resource Library
- Consider the possibility of study abroad, visit the International Programs Office in CSU250 for info
- Continue to explore interests, values, abilities and lifestyle preferences
- Maintain a high GPA
- Talk to faculty or advisors in your major to learn about potential career opportunities
- Use What Can I Do With My Major? to identify possible careers within your major
Narrowing and prioritizing career options. Identifying education/training/employment options
- Gain experience through part time jobs or internships, you can use mavjobs.com to browse job postings
- Take a leadership role in a campus organization
- Research graduate and professional schools and their requirements
- Prepare and take tests required for admissions, the Counseling Center offers many graduate admissions testing opportunities
- Draft a resume and cover letter. Use the Job Search Handbook
- Consider adding a minor or another major that relates to coursework you are already taking
- Fill out any required graduation documentation 1 year before desired graduation date
Carrying through on your plan of action. Entering the world of work or graduate/professional school
- Register for and attend career or job fairs where you can network and participate in the interview process
- Upload your resume into mavjobs.com and make it available for employers to review
- Attend one of the CDC’s job search workshops
- Complete graduate and professional school application process
- Consider attending an on campus recruiting info or interview session.