Thursday, September 13, 2007, Radisson Plaza Hotel, Rochester
Present: Sandy Nieland (President), Michele Neaton (President Elect), Dan Cronn-Mills (Past President), Larry Schnoor (Treasurer), Sarah Wolter, (Newsletter Editor), Karen P. Wilson (Secretary)
Meeting was called to order at 5:40 p.m. Minutes from May 24, 2007 were approved.
President’s Report: Sandy reported that we are ready to go with the conference. Thanks to everyone!
President Elect’s Report: Michele reported that everything is in order for the conference. A bit of confusion with the new addition of MNSCU (i.e. how to handle purchase orders) but everything is ready to go.
Treasurer's Report: Larry reported that we have 241 pre-registered (including 54 MNSCU members), 20 who have renewed but are not attending and 7 who paid the non-member registration fee. CTAM is in solid financial condition. Larry is still working on the 501C3 non-profit paperwork (and this is why we were not able to offer student grants as we have in the past). Appreciation is sincerely expressed to the anonymous, benevolent benefactor who generously donated funds to cover some of the attending students!
Journal Editor's Report: In absentia. Dan reported that the Journal is now on-line and it looks great. The Exec. Committee reported positive responses to the Journal.
Newsletter Editor's Report: Sarah reported that Oct. 15 is the deadline for the Nov. newsletter. Sarah will contact Exec. Board members to request specific information. Sarah will also remind Dan to forward a CTAM members list. Send newsletter contributions to Sarah.
Historian's Report: In absentia.
Past President’s Report: CTAM on Request is the new name for CTAM On The Road. Dan reported that information has gone out in the newsletter. Please reinforce this opportunity at other meetings. The buzz begins with our discussions!
1. CTAM elections:
Pres. Elect; Cliff Janke agreed to the nomination for President Elect.
Secretary: Jan Urtel and Karen P. Wilson agreed to the nomination for Secretary. Nominations from the floor will be accepted for both positions.
2. The Board of Governors is fully staffed at the present time.
3. Larry continues working on the paperwork for the change to 501C3 status.
4. MNSCU and CTAM: There are positive reactions so far to this combination. Discussion followed. Feedback forms will further inform the Board as to the success of this new combination at this year’s conference.
5. Institutional memberships: Concordia College, Mankato Bethany Lutheran, U of MN have paid institutional memberships. Larry will follow up with others. St. Olaf membership will be forthcoming. Please encourage others to join.
6. Theater/Dance licensure: College and universities should be in the process of applying for the new licensures should they desire. The three options remain: a combined Theater/Dance license, a Theater license, a Dance license.
7. BOG terms: 2 years. Discussion followed about the process of filling the Board of Governors. General consensus was that everything is working well. BOG members are automatically reappointed unless they speak to the President. It is recommended that the President should follow up if someone does not attend meetings on a regular basis.
1. Larry Schnoor Wins National Award:
Congratulations to Larry on receiving the Wallace A. Bacon Lifetime Achievement Award from NCA. Applause followed. There is a special panel at NCA in Larry’s honor called Larry Schnoor: His Impact on Forensics. The panel is comprised of people from many different states: a testament to Larry’s wide influence. Congratulations Larry!
2. The Arts Standards Review Committee Membership:
Karen is on this committee and is happy to be the CTAM link. Meetings begin today.
3. Central States Adjunct Teacher Award Information from Derrick Linstrom:
Sandy introduced information about creating new teacher awards. The Exec. Committee supports the idea of creating different awards and will work out specific details and bring these proposals to the BOG. Future consideration: should CTAM offer Lifetime Service Awards as well as New Teacher Awards?
3. CTAM Representation on the Arts Education Consortium:
Jill Lofald no longer serves in this position. Motion was made for Sandy, as Past President, to serve in this position. Motion passed. Sandy will contact Virgina McFerran with this information.
4. CTAM 2008 Convention Location:
No recommendations for location have been forthcoming. General consensus is that the next conference should be north central next year. Larry will begin looking and will bring suggestions to the Exec. Board.
Note for future: Scott Durocher and Jody Saxton West would consider being nominated for CTAM President in the future.
Meeting was adjourned at 6:25 p.m.
Karen P. Wilson, Secretary