Application ProcessPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/cmst/programs/gradapplication.html
What are the basic requirements to apply?
An applicant must have a GPA of 3.0 or better in overall undergraduate studies (No GRE scores are required).
International applicants should read the information posted on this page as well as the information posted for international applicants.
Provisional admission may be granted to applicants with an undergraduate GPA below regular admission standards. In such cases, the admission will be contingent on the student's adherence to contract terms stipulating specific performance requirements. Completion of the contract requirements will result in the change of admission status to regular.
The application process is online for both degree and non–degree study.
A degree-seeking application requires a $40.00 non–refundable application fee. The fee is not required for non–degree applicants.
Here is a list of documents you should prepare before starting the online application process:
Graduate Certificate Application:
- In 1-3 pages write an essay stating your personal, educational, and professional goals.
- Submit the document along with the online application for admission.
Graduate Degree Application for Communication & Composition MS
- The application process is detailed at http://english.mnsu.edu/rhetoric/commcomp/admission.html
Graduate Degree Application for MS, MA, MFA in Communication Studies
- A statement of personal and professional interests. In approximately 1-3 pages answer the following questions: Why do you want to pursue a degree in communication studies? How will this degree advance your professional and personal goals? Why do you want to study at Minnesota State University, Mankato?
- A writing sample demonstrating your ability to organize and compose a sound analysis using evidence and external sources (preferably a research or term paper).
- Optional: A resume or curriculum vitae.
- Contact information for three individuals who will write letters of recommendation. The individuals should be qualified to judge your academic potential. The online application system will prompt you to enter their contact information. The writers will then receive an email with instructions on how to submit their letter.
- Arrange for an official transcript from institution(s) you have previously attended. Students who attended Minnesota State University, Mankato or any other Minnesota State institution do not have to arrange for receipt of transcripts from these institutions. All other transcripts are required, including those from the University of Minnesota. Applicants who were educated at overseas institutions must arrange for a credential evaluation as part of their application. The evaluation must be written by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.
Submit your application using the online application.
Finally, complete and submit the Immunization Form. This form is not required for admission, but is required prior to registering.
Send transcripts and immunization form to:
College of Graduate Studies and Research
115 Alumni Foundation Center
Mankato, MN 56001
Graduate Teaching Assistants in Communication Studies teach sections of CMST 100. Applicants with a speech/debate background be assigned to work with Maverick Forensics. GTAs receive a stipend and are funded for up to 9 credits of coursework per semester.
If you would like to apply for a Graduate Teaching Assistantship, fill out the application at http://grad.mnsu.edu/forms/appforgradassistantship.pdf and email it, along with a cover letter and resume, to email@example.com.
More information about graduate assistantships are available at https://grad.mnsu.edu/assistantships/
Do you have questions for the Graduate School? Call (507) 389-2321 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have questions for the Communication Studies Department? Contact the Graduate Studies Coordinator, Dr. Deepa Oommen, at (507) 389-2367 or email@example.com