- (Thesis Plan - 33 credits)
- (Alternate Paper Plan - 35 credits)
Major Common Core
- CMST 600 Seminar in Communication Theory (3 cr.)
- CMST 601 Communication Research Methods (3 cr.)
- CMST 602 Communication Pedagogy (3 cr.)
- CMST 603 Strategies: Basic (0 cr.) *required only of Graduate Teaching Assistants
- CMST 650 Capstone Prospectus (0 cr.) *601 is prequisite for 650
Major Restricted Electives
Choose 12-15 course credits within the department at the 500-600 level in consultation with an advisor.
Major Unrestricted Electives
Choose 6-9 course credits outside of the department at the 500-600 level in consultation with an advisor.
Choose Thesis or Alternative Plan Paper credits in consultation with an advisor.
- CMST 694 Alternate Plan Paper (1-2 cr.)
- CMST 699 Thesis (3-6 cr.)
- Appropriate research tools such as ethnography, critical analysis, language, statistics or others may be required by the department.
- No P/N credit is acceptable in fulfilling major requirements except in the case of theses, practicums, internships, in-service courses and individual study, and then only by special permission of the department.
- Fifty percent (50%) of all coursework must be at the 600 level, not including thesis or alternate plan.
- A maximum of six (6) graduate credits from "NFL" courses may be applied toward satisfactory completion of the Master of Arts in Communication Studies. The limit may be waived with consent of a student's graduate advisor.
- A maximum of six (6) combined credits from CMST 677 (Individual Study) and/or CMST 697 (Internship) may be applied toward completion of Master of Arts in Communication Studies. The limit may be wavied with consent of the graduate advisor
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 graduate credits before taking CMST 697