- (Thesis Capstone - 48 credits)
Major Common Core
- CMST 509 Performance Studies (3 cr.)
- CMST 535 Forensics Pedagogy (3 cr.)
- CMST 600 Seminar in Communication Theory (3 cr.)
- CMST 601 Communication Research Methods (3 cr.)
- CMST 602 Communication Pedagogy (3 cr.)
- CMST 603 Strategies: Basic (0 cr.) *required only of Graduate Teaching Assistants
- CMST 630 Forensics Practicum (3 cr.)
- CMST 650 Capstone Prospectus (0 cr.)*601 is prerequisite for 650
- CMST 651 Comprehensive Exams (0 cr.)*601 is prequisite for 651
Major Restricted Electives
- CMST 512 Organizational Communication
- CMST 545 Conflict Management
- CMST 613 Advanced Intercultural Communication
- CMST 621 Advanced Interpersonal Communication
- CMST 515 Topics in Rhetoric and Culture
- CMST 620 Modern Rhetorical Criticism
- CMST 605 Teaching Communication Studies Online
- CMST 633 Communication for Professionals
Required Communication Studies Electives
- Choose an additional 9 credits from any 500-600 level courses in the department in consultation with an advisor.
Required Supporting Field Electives
Choose 6 credits from 500-600 level courses outside of the department in consultation with an advisor.
- CMST 699 Thesis (3-6 credits)
- Appropriate research tools such as ethnography, critical analysis, language, statistics or others may be required by the department.
- No P/N credit is acceptable in fulfilling major requirements except in the case of thesis, practicums, internships, in-service courses and individual study, and then only by special permission of the department.
- Fifty percent (50%) of all coursework must be at the 600 level, not including thesis or alternate plan.
- A maximum of six (6) graduate credits from "NFL" courses may be applied toward satisfactory completion of the Master of Fine Arts--Forensics. This limit may be waived with consent of a student's graduate advisor.
- A maximum of six (6) combined credits from CMST 677 (Individual Study) and/or CMST 697 (Internship) may be applied toward completion of the Master of Fine Arts in Communication Studies. The limit may be wavied with consent of the graduate advisor.
- Students must complete a minimum of 18 graduate credits before taking CMST 697.