Stories of People Who Stutter

[ Contents | Search | Post | Reply | Next | Previous | Up ]


Re: Bilinguals?

From: David Shapiro
Date: 18 Oct 2011
Time: 10:51:45 -0500
Remote Name: 152.30.155.29

Comments

Hi Nathalie, Iím glad you enjoyed reading the paper. You are asking some very good questions. None of the three cases are bilingual. Indeed stuttering and bilingualism has received focused empirical attention over the last decade (P.M. Roberts & Shenker, 2007; Shenker, 2004; Van Borsel & de Britto Pereira, 2005; Van Borsel, Maes, & Foulon, 2001), as have related issues of language development, delay, and disorder (Glennen, 2002, 2007, 2008; Glennen & Masters, 2002; Paul, 2007; Roseberry-McKibbin, 2007). I summarized this literature in my book and you can find these and other reference there. Genetic influences are thought to contribute as much as 70% to 85% of the likelihood that a person will begin to stutter; the reminder of the variance (15% to 30%) is thought to be attributable to environmental influences (Andrews, Morris-Yates, Howie, & Martin, 1991; Felsenfeld, Kirk, Zhu, Statham, Neale, & Martin, 2000; Ooki, 2005). Feel welcome to follow up by email if I might be of help in any way. Thanks again, David Shapiro


Last changed: 10/18/11