National Stuttering Association
by Nina Reardon
The NSA has an active, dynamic, growing and ever-evolving National
Family Program. The current chairs of the FP Committee are Debbie
Nicolai (parent) and Nina Reardon (SLP) and committee members include
Sindy Liben, Elaine Siatta, Gary Rentchler, Bonnie Weiss, Tim Bryant and
Below you will find a list of the many programs and services that the
NSA provides children and teens who stutter and their families.
What the NSA does to reach out to children and teens who stutter and
The NSA reaches out to empower parents and children in many ways. We
ALWAYS have new ideas, tasks and projects that we would love to
implement. Most of these outreach concepts cost little or nothing to the
- Stutter Buddies: Our quarterly newsletter by and for children who
stutter ages 7-12. (Gary Rentchler and Bonnie Weiss)
- Our Voices: Our newsletter insert (into Letting Go) by and for teens
who stutter ages 13-19. (Nina Reardon)
- CARE (Connections, Advocacy, Resources, Education): Our quarterly
newsletter for parents of children who stutter. (Debbie Nicolai)
Local/Regional Family/Youth Days: Mini "conferences" for children,
parents, teens, SLPs (and ever-expanding to include adult workshops)
held throughout the year and throughout the country. This phenomenon is
ever growing this year and in many cases, becomes an ANNUAL event that
everyone looks forward to! These are spear-headed by local chapters and
interested SLPs. We have a manual for hosting a Youth Day that was
created by NSA member, Doug Wing.
- Enhanced sections on our website at www.WeStutter.org
- Annual Conference: 2 1/2 days of programming exclusively for families.
- Parent Liaisons: Parents from around the country who take phone calls
from the national office that need "walk in my shoes" types of
- Kids Listserv: A Yahoo Group formed for children who stutter to share their experiences. Ages 7-12.
- Parent Listserv: A Yahoo Group formed for parents/guardians of
children who stutter to share their experiences.
- Teen Listserv: A Yahoo Group formed for teenagers who stutter to share
their experiences. Ages 13-20.
- Teen Advisory Council: 5 NSA Teens selected to bring the young adult
"voice" to the leadership of the organization. The only one of its
- CARE and TWST Groups: Children and teen support groups for children,
teens and their families. These groups function much like our adult
chapters who meet with the same mission of the NSA. So far, we have a
Children's (CARE) group in Rancho Cucamonga, CA and TWST (Teens Who
Stutter) Groups in Detroit, MI and Chicago, IL
- Numerous publications available, including:
- Preschool booklet for parents (and SLPs)
- Preschool coloring book
- Children's literature book "Ben Has Something to Say"
- Flyers: Preschool, School Age and Adolescent "Top 10 Lists"
- Pamphlet: 18 Ways the NSA Can Help You Help Your Child
- Pamphlet: Notes to Listeners
- Stutter Buddies poster
- "Acceptance" poster for classrooms
- "Stuttering Is": poster designed by 10 year old, Meredith R.
- Stuttering: What Educators Need to Know
The NSA National Family Programs continue to embody the mission
statement of the NSA; Our mission is to bring "hope, dignity, support,
education, and empowerment to children and adults who stutter, and their
You can post Questions/comments to any or all of the authors before October 22, 2004.