People Who Stutter Speak for Themselves
These brief autobiographies were written by persons who stutter.
They include information about therapy programs they have tried,
about their successes and disappointments, about their goals and
aspirations. Many include helpful information about how they want
listeners to respond to them. Several of the writers have allowed
their email addresses to be published if you wish to write to them.
If other persons who stutter wish to contribute to this project, they
may do so by contacting Judy Kuster
- My Life as a Stutterer by Asim Kahn
- Untitled by Candace Webster
- The Battle At 7th And K by Jon Bjornstad
- It Gets Easier by Jim McClure
- Struggle for Acceptance by Dan Wong
- Untitled by Margaret Witbeck
- Its All in the Mind by Bennett Gross
- ....and then a Rainbow by Diane Laval
- If I'm Special Its Because I Stutter an article about C Wilcox by Thomas David Kehoe
- Rejection to Acceptance by Mathew Benson
- What?....Ashamed of Fluency? by John Larkin
- Confessions of a Stuttering Speech-Language Pathologist by Dr. Ted Peters
- An Errant Elbow/An Act of God by Marty Jezer
- Stuttering: A Life Bound Up In Words by Marty Jezer, a book preview.
- Excerpts from several chapters of Stuttering: A Life Bound Up In Words by Marty Jezer.
- The Kid and His Hero and Your Everyday Senior by Kelly P. Snow
- PWS ---> SLP by Rod Abbott
- Not All Christmas Presents Come In Wrapping Paper by Louise Heite
- A Personal Story by Jean-Pierre Tibi.
- "Bless Her Lying Little Heart" by Vicki Benson Schutter
- Her Name was Mrs. Claussen - And She Cared by Lee Reeves
- untitled by Maximilian J. Sandor
- The Origin of My Points of View by Bob Quesal
- For Richer, Poorer, or Fluenter by Vicki Benson Schutter
- Things Don't Always Work Out As Planned by Rod Abbott
- I Swore an Oath to a Birch Tree by Charles Van Riper
- Tell ESPN I'm Available! by Larry Molt
- Happy Hunting For The Holy Spirit by Vicki Benson Schutter
- My Stuttering Summer by Maggie Hansen
- Old Fart Face by Bill Murphy
- What's Wrong With Using A Crutch If It Helps You by Herbert Goldberg
- Defeating The Dragon by David J. Halvorsen
- An interesting FAX sent to Art Nefsky from Mel Tillis on September 30, 1997, about his stuttering, is online.
- And the Shelves Come Tumbling Down by Bonnie Weiss.
- A short essay in which Charles Lamb, (b. 1776, d. 1835), himself a person who stuttered, described stuttering quite vividly.
- Mouth Piece by Anne H. Mavor
- The Sasser Syndrome by Jeff Shames.
- A Conversation with my Father by Elaine Saitta
- A Way Through the Forest: One Boy's Story With a Happy Ending by David Shapiro
- Speaking Is My Challenge -- And I'm Facing Up To It by Marty Jezer. Presented for the International Stuttering Awareness Day conference, October 1998.
- My Name is Eric, and I Stutter by Eric.
- Early years in India and now in school in the US by Balaji Krishnamurthy.
- A Wonderful Card by Russ Hicks.
- You Can Call Me by Vicki Schutter
- Blow And Bluster by Charles James.
- Loss of Innocence by Michael Hughes
- The Rage by Michael Hughes
- Marriage Vows by Michael Hughes
- C-C-C-Cold Enough For You? by Michael Hughes
- Fear Therapy? by Michael Hughes
- Ever Since I Can Remember by Ashley Callan
- A Tale of a Girl Who Talked Funny by Debbie Britton.
- Total Block by Israel Mlambo.
- Victorious people by Gokce Baser added to PWS Speak For Themselves.
- A Contrast in People's Response by Paul Goldstein.
- My Name is Jim Abbott; A-b-b-o-t-t by Jim Abbott
- At Peace with my Stuttering by Paul Goldstein.
- "Four, Three, Two, One" by Rod Gilchrist.
- Feelings When Stuttering In Front of a Group by Casey Donohue
- Blocking the fear out by Rob Bloom, Written for National Public Radio's All Things Considered
- You think YOU'RE afraid of public speaking? by Rob Bloom, originally published in The Toastmaster Magazine
- Stuttering by Jesse Loesberg, an MP3 file from his Commentaries from the KQED-FM Perspectives
- Playing Dress-up by Pam Mertz
- Speaking out: Telling their stories helps people who stutter lessen isolation by Suzanne Wilson, staff writer for gazettenet.com, with permission of Noah Hoffenberg, web editor/business editor, Daily Hampshire Gazette
- Keep the Focus on Yourself by Janet Givens, linked to her blog with permission
- What Words Deserve by Victoria Benson Schutter
- Dr. Leana Wen's TedTalk Turning fear inside out
last modified November 7, 2014
web weaver Judy Kuster
Return to The Stuttering Home Page