A message to Speech-Language Pathologists working in the Schools
from John Ahlbach
You have a special reason to master juggling. Why? Because think of what would happen if you went back to your school and started the next session with your youn people by teaching them how to juggle. Consider these results:
Think about it. When was the last time any of your young clients ran out into the school yard after one of your sessions and shouted to his or her friends: "Guess what I did with the speech teacher today!" Isn't it worth a try?
- It would quickly improve their self-image (as it has yours).
- Teach them the elements of learning a new behavior
- Make you look a lot less one-dimensional in their eyes, and establish a better rapport between you
- Give them something to bring home to their parents
- Probably break a few hand-held objects in your office you didn't want anyway
- Make "therapy: seem not a chore, but something which is active and perhaps even fun.
John has also provided a brief tutorial on Juggling
added January 12, 1997