October 22, 1999
Events for ISAD99 are archived here
October 22, 1999, has been declared International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD). The day has been selected by the International Fluency Association (IFA) and the International Stuttering Association (ISA). The ISAD hopes the day will show consumers and professionals working together to make this a better world for People Who Stutter.
1. Sample Proclamation declaring October 22, 1999, International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD) in your area.
WHEREAS, today, millions of adults and children face the daily challenge of living with a stutter; and
WHEREAS, today, these adults and children who stutter can find help
through the combined efforts of speech-language professionals
and consumer support organizations; and
WHEREAS, today, countries all over the world will be increasing
public awareness and supporting people who stutter through
educational workshops as part of the world's largest stuttering
event, the second annual International Stuttering Day.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, (name of mayor/governor/president of city
council) of (town/city/state/country) do hereby proclaim
October 22, 1999:
INTERNATIONAL STUTTERING AWARENESS DAYWITNESS MY HAND and the Official Seal of (town/city/state/ country), mayor's/governor's/president of city council's
2. Host an ISAD Workshop, Open House or School Information Day.
3. Provide you local or school library with information on stuttering from profession and consumer support organizations, or from the Stuttering Foundation of America at 1-800-992-9392 or www.stutterSFA.org
4. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper about ISAD. .
5. Speak at a Toastmasters meeting, your local PTA or a school class on stuttering.
6. Display an ISAD poster in your community, school or speech clinic.
6. Organize an internet chat room on October 22 to discuss stuttering.
7. For Children: Write a poem or article describing how you feel about your stuttering for publication in your support organization's newsletter. Draw a picture showing how you feel. Make a presentation to your class on stuttering. Guideline for a stuttering presentation can be found at www.mnsu.edu/comdis/kuster/kids/ahlbachguide.html.
Assemble workshop/open house planning team
Budget: Expenses Income ___ refreshments ___ Foundation grants ___ room cost ___ Registration fees ___ speaker's expenses ___ name tags and markers ___ rental of audio-visual aids $____ Income Total ___ printing of workshop flyer ___ mailing of workshop flyer ___ media package (press releases and PSA) ___ materials from professional and consumer groups for resource table ___ supplies for children and youth activities ___ other expenses $_____ Expense Total
Develop goals, agenda and secure speakers
Select workshop/open house site and date
Registration flyer and mailing list
Media or press release
Set up registration (workshop) or information (open house) table
Evaluation and thank you letters
INTERNATIONAL STUTTERING AWARENESS DAY
A Cooperative Effort of:
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association/DIVISION#4
European League of Stuttering Associations
International Fluency Association
International Stuttering Association
The ISAD 1999 poster was designed by Michele Montoeforte and Jill Carrillo.