Stuttering and Suicide
At times, people become so desperate they develop what is called "tunnel vision" - they can see no other solution to their problem than ending their life. They have not rejected all the support that they know about and have found helpful in the past, but for a moment, they are not able to see outside the "tunnel" they find themselves in.
Stuttering & Suicide: Our Experiences & Responsibilities (PPT) Judith Kuster; Lisa Scott; Scott Palasik; Rodney Gabel; Joseph Donaher E. Charles Healey, ASHA Convention, November, 2013.
Three page handout of resources - PDF
There are documented instances of people who stutter who have thought about suicide. An important message through all of them is "It Gets Better" If you are willing to add your personal story, contact Judy Kuster
An important message is that it is not just our clients who stutter who think about suicide. Clients Who Threaten Suicide -- Our Responsibilities
If you are in a suicidal crisis, please seek professional help immediately by calling "911", the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK, or a crisis hotline in your area (the number should be listed in your Yellow Pages under Crisis Intervention Services). If you feel suicidal, see a doctor.
There are also several good resources on the Internet
about suicide prevention.
- Paul Quinette's Suicide: the Forever Decision: For those thinking about suicide and for those who know, love and counsel them - free book that describes QPR (question, persuade, refer).
- Befriender's International Network in Arabic, Cinese, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Dutch, Russian, Suomi, Portuguese, Danish. This site also provides Helpline Information from countries around the world.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Samaritans - "Confidential support for suicide, suicidal thoughts, feelings of despair or distress."
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Prevention, Awareness, and Support
- SAVE (suicide awareness voices of education)
- San Francisco Suicide Prevention - America's oldest community crisis hotline
- Yellow Ribbon - a suicide prevention training program.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA)
- Bipolar disorder and suicide
- Suicide from TeensHealth
- Reminding Loved Ones That Life is Precious: Suicide Prevention Resources a good site suggested by a fifth grader.
- Report Suicidal Content form if one encounters a direct threat of suicide on Facebook.
- "Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Resources" - good information and many excellent links!
added November 19, 2002
updated April 10, 2014