Finding Professional Resources and Research about Stuttering
Online Library Access
- University students are encouraged learn what is available online from their own libraries.
- Gateway to Library Catalogs including to the Library of Congress and over 300 other libraries
Journals, Articles, and Abstracts
- ASHA Journals - (AJA (complete -1991-present), AJSLP (complete 1992-present) , SLHR (complete 1997-present), LSHSS - 1990-present) Also has archive of back journals - JSHD - 1990 (last year printed) and JSHR from 1990-1996. (May be available through university libraries and is available to all ASHA members, including student members). ( Search ASHA Publication on Fluency and Fluency Disorders is only available to ASHA members)
- Journal of Fluency Disorders (May be available through university libraries and is available to all members of the International Fluency Association). Table of Contents and abstracts are freely available. Journal of Fluency Disorders
- Abstracts of stuttering research from Doctor's Guide to the Internet
- You can also do a keyword search for stuttering on Medline and the ERIC database
- Free Medical Journals online, including Brain, Journal of Human Genetics, etc.
- Free online full-text articles from HighWire Press
- Kuster, JM, Online Stuttering Resources, ASHA Leader, September 23, 2008, p. 34-35
Handouts and Abstracts from past ASHA Conventions
Online bibliographies related to stuttering/cluttering
- Annotated Bibliography of articles related to stuttering from journals 1990 to present. An ongoing project of Seminar in Stuttering, at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Efficacy in Stuttering Treatment Bibliography
- Selected references in research methods by Nan Ratner
- Stuttering Bibliography for 1976-1981 by Andreas Starke.
- Bibliography of Charles Van Riper's work
- Bibliography of Wendall Johnson's work
- Cluttering Bibliography by Judy Kuster.
- A Bibliography Of Writings On The History Of Logopedics, Phoniatrics, Communication Disorders, And Allied Subjects by Jeffrey Wollock, D. Phil., New York. and Jorge Perelló, M.D., Barcelona is a substantial work with many historical references to
stuttering as well as other communciation disorders.
Fourth Annual Stuttering And Fluency Bibliography from the International Fluency Association.
- Bibliography on Neurogenic Stuttering by Prof. Dr. Henny-Annie Bijleveld, sent by Patrick Coppens
- Our clients and their families speak: Bibliography of Books Written by Consumers Served by Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists - contains some references on personal stories about stuttering.
Research tools which may be helpful
Bookstore provides links to available books and videos about stuttering,
Suggested Research Texts
The following books were suggested by Nan Ratner, Pat Roberts, Glen Tellis, and John Tetnowski in response to a request on the SID4 discussion forum for resources about research.
Barlow, D. H., & Hersen, M. (1984). Single case experimental designs: Strategies for studying change. (2nd ed.). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
Christenson, L. B. (2001). Experimental methodology (8th ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon
Creswell, John, Quantitiavie, Qualitative and Mixed Methods Designs, Sage
Hegde, M. N. (2003). Clinical Research in Communicative Disorders:
Principles and Strategies (3rd edition). Austin, TX: PRO-ED. (There
may be a newer edition)
Kazdin, A. (1982). Single-case research designs: Methods for clinical and applied settings. New York: Oxford.
McReynolds, L. V., & Kearns, K. P. (1982). Single-subject experimental designs in communicative disorders. Austin, TX: PRO_ED.
Maxwell, D.L., & Satake, E. (1997). Research and statistical methods in communication disorders. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins.
Meltzoff J. Critical thinking about Research: Psychology and Related Fields. American Psychological Association
Mitchell, M.L. & Jolley, J.M. (2004). Research design explained. 5th
edition. Thomson Wadsworth
Schiavetti, N. and Metz, D.E. (2002). Evaluating Research in
Communicative Disorders, Fourth Edition, Boston, Allyn and Bacon
last modified August 8, 2010