Retrieval Tools for the World Wide Web
compiled by Judith Maginnis Kuster
Resources to search for people
Finding Email Addresses
Finding Addresses and Telephone Numbers
- Switchboard is a nation-wide listing of over 90 million people's addresses and phone numbers. Also contains directory assistance for businesses.
- Database America has phone numbers and also a feature where you type in the phone number and you can find the name.
- Phone Finder has information about telephone area codes.
- AnyWho provides personal phone numbers, business numbers, fax numbers. Also has a reverse search, can give you a list of others who live on that street, and can tell you who is living at an address.
Automated Search Tools
Some Unique Automated Search Tools
- Amnesi: The Internet Name Search Engine - lets you search for a domain name when you don't remember the exact name. Enter a guess and the engine returns similar names.
- Voycabulary - enter the URL of an online document and get the same document with every word hyperlinked. Click on any part of the text for an instant dictionary definition, or for suggestions from a thesaurus.
- Google - finds the sites linked to most often by other web sites.
- Direct Hit - shows you highly relevant results based only on the search topics that other people have researched, tracks the amount of time spent at sites that people actually select from the search results list
- Video Search Engine
- Find Articles
Meta Search Engines and Search Engine Collections
Go2Net (formerly Metacrawler)
CUSI: Configurable Unified Search Engine is a configurable search interface for many searcheable WWW resources. It allows you to quickly check related resources, without having to navigate and re-type the keywords.
WWW Search Engines collects some of the most useful search engines available on the WWW.
William Cross' All-in-one search page is a compilation of various forms-based search tools found on the Internet. They have been combined to form a consistent interface and convenient ALL-IN-ONE search point.
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique CUI Search Engines
of the University of Geneva has several search engines
EZ Find at the River allows you enter keywords to search for on the Net, and then submit them to several search engines without having to retype them for each engine.
Yahoo - huge seachable index of Internet resources
Yahooligans - searchable index of Internet resources for ages 7-12
Open Directory Project
Internet Rating Systems
Point - reviews and rates what they consider to be the top 5% of Web sites.
Subject Guides and Meta Directories
Hardin Meta Directory
Sci Central - a metadirectory created for scientists and engineers
InterNIC Directory of Directories
Geometry Health Conditions
Virtual Libraries and indexes to periodicals
National Library of Medicine
E-Library contains many full-text journals and newspapers. There is a fee, but a trial subscription is free.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Library
Library of Congress - Online Catalogs
Hardin library good site to find information about almost any medical issue
askERIC virtual library
Valuable On-line Databases and subject specific search engines
Bartleby.com: Great Books Online
Internets - direct links to many online databases
Medscape - after you register at this site (it is free) you have access to searching the NLM's Medline, Aidsline and Toxline databases
Pediatric Database - provides information on various pediatric disorders
Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man Database - contains over 150,000 keyword searchable full-text documents on genetically-based disorders.
National Organization for Rare Disorders - has information on orphan diseases that is written specifically for the general public
Amazon Bookstore - has over 2.5 million titles of professional and popular books which can be ordered online.
Family Village - a database on disability
MEDMarket Web Crawler - Health and Medical Indexes
Web Medlit provides access to the best medical journals on the web.
PubMed allows a search through the 9 million citations in MEDLINE and Pre-MEDLINE for free.
Health A to Z Search engine
WWW Entrez currently allows you to access three databases : a subset of the National Library of Medicine's MEDLINE database, the NCBI protein database, and the NCBI nucleotide database.
LISZT, a directory of information about available mailing lists.
Dejanews a search engine for Usenet Newsgroups
Finding Shareware on the Internet
ArchiePlex as NASA - helps you locate files on anonymous ftp sites on the Internet
Jumbo! - has over 200,000 downladable shareware and freeware programs
Shareware.com - contains over 200,000 files
Tigger - an excellent site for Children's software, and more.
ZD Net Software Library - helps you find top rated software
last updated April 28, 2005