Teaching English as a Second Language: Web Sites
by Judith Maginnis Kuster - Minnesota State University, Mankato
Internet sites designed to assist teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) provide a vast array of materials that can be adapted for many different client needs. There are literally hundreds of ESL web pages to explore. Many good sites are linked in "webliographies" -- sites that link to other web pages, such as Ohio University's Resources for English language and culture, Dave Sperling's ESL Cafe which has over 3000 links, Rong-Chang Li's ESL Site and Frizzy University Network. An exploration of such resources will lead you to many excellent materials. Visit these sites and discover ways your students/clients may benefit from them.
- The Comenius English Language Center provides free online activities including Fluency Through Fables, short tales with questions designed to improve reading comprehension of English, and a collection of idioms.
- The English Zone has worksheets for grammar, verbs, idioms, vocabulary, spelling, conversation, study skills, reading, and writing.
- Aardvark contains interactive English language exercises for students of English as a foreign language (EFL)
- Self-study quizzes for ESL students has a large collection of online quizzes . This is a part of The Internet TESL Journal's Activities for ESL Students, written by many teachers from around the world . The site currently has over 1000 activities!
- Taiwan Teacher contains a growing list of grammar quizzes and exercises for teachers of English as a foreign or second language. These online activities and suggestions can be easily adapted for children with language-learning disorders and adults who are re-learning language following a stroke.
- Interesting Things For ESL Students contains word games, puzzles, quizzes, slang, and proverbs. Be sure to check the vocabulary quizzes with pictures and Wordmeister.
Software, Interactive Activities
Kuster, JM, English as a Second Language: Web Sites, ASHA Leader, June 20, 2000, p. 6