Resources for Clients With Cranio-Facial Abnormalities
In the past, children with velo-pharyngeal insufficiency (VPI) performed oral-motor exercises such as blowing ping-pong or cotton balls. Although such oral-motor exercises for these children are available online and are probably harmless, this type of intervention is no longer considered a treatment protocol for individuals with VPI. Here are a few articles about oral-motor exercises:
Bedwinek, Kummer, Rice, and Grames, in "Current Training and Continuing Education Needs of Preschool and School-Based Speech-Language Pathologists Regarding Children With Cleft Lip/Palate" (LSHSS Vol.41 405-415 October 2010) conclude that when treating children with craniofacial abnormalities, SLPs want "communication with the cleft/craniofacial team, accessible continuing education through Web sites and conferences, and clinically practical information relevant to the school setting." This column responds to that plea by identifying websites with clinically practical information.
Assessment and Intervention
Other Important Resources
A final important resource is ASHA's Special Interest Division 5, Speech Science and Orofacial Disorders which made several suggestions for this column. The division publishes Perspectives and hosts a discussion forum for members (www.asha.org/Members/divs/div_5.htm).
- From John Riski
- From Ann Kummer
- Treatment of Articulation Disorders Related to Cleft Palate by Lynn Marty Grames, (PPT) (www.acpa-cpf.org/EducMeetings/CoreCur/speech_grames_ArticDisord_ASHA08.pps)
- Hardin-Jones, M., Chapman, K., & Scherer, N. J. Early intervention in children with cleft palate The ASHA Leader, 11(8), 8-9, 32. (www.asha.org/Publications/leader/2006/060613/f060613b/) suggests strategies for increasing consonant inventories, working on vocabulary, and increasing awareness of airflow
- Meet Your Speech Helpers (www.home-speech-home.com/support-files/speech-helpers.pdf)
- Cleft Palate Foundation (www.cleftline.org/) baby-feeding videos (www.cleftline.org/parents/feeding_your_baby)
- Cleft Palate Feeding Video (www.neworleanscleftteam.org/videos.html)