shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Frequently Asked Questions

Page address:

Frequently Asked Questions by Parents

What happens if my student is alleged to have violated the student conduct code?

Your student will receive a letter from a hearing officer regarding an upcoming disciplinary meeting. Information will include an explanation of the allegations and possible sanctions. Your student will have an opportunity to share his or her side of the story before a decision is reached and sanctions are shared. However, if the student doesn’t respond to the notification letter in a timely manner, it will be necessary for the hearing officer to make a decision without benefit of the student’s input.

Can parents attend the conduct meeting?

Most students come on their own. Learning to handle their own affairs and accepting responsibility for their choices is an important developmental task in college. However, students are allowed to bring one person along as an advisor, if they wish.



What is the role of an “advisor” in a conduct meeting?

The advisor is a support person for the student. The advisor can assist the student in understanding the questions and the process. An advisor cannot speak for the student or otherwise participate directly in the process.

Can outcomes of a conduct hearing be appealed?

Yes, if a student has bonafide grounds for an appeal and submits an appeal by the specified timeline. The student must be the one to file the appeal, not a parent or other third party.

What are bonafied grounds for an appeal?

Grounds for appeals include:

  1. New evidence not reasonably available at the time of the hearing.
  2. Evidence of a procedural error in the student disciplinary process that substantially impacted the outcome.
  3. Evidence that the sanction is excessively severe.



 Can my student appeal a contract termination because it would pose a financial hardship on the family?

Financial hardship is not grounds for appeal because the cost associated with contract termination is likely to impact the majority of students. Strong sanctions are necessary as a deterrent. Similarly, grounds for appeal do not include stress and inconvenience, the cost of educational sanctions, disruption to studies, separation from friends or classmates, lack of familiarity with the rules, good character or a personal commitment to behaving better in the future. It is expected that students have learned their lesson and won’t repeat the behavior.



Can I find out if my student was involved in an alcohol or drug violation?

In accordance with the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Section 13.32, the University may disclose alcohol and drug violations to a parent or other third party upon request if the student gives written permission. Release of Information forms were distributed at Orientation. Forms are also available at the Campus Hub. Students have the right to revoke consent at any time, under law.  The University is looking into parental notification software to inform parents shortly after a violation occurs, but it is not available at this time.

My student is on disciplinary probation. What does that mean?

Disciplinary probation is a period of observation during which time the student is expected to demonstrate a willingness and ability to comply with University standards. A student on disciplinary probation is not in good standing with the University. If probation does motivate the student to change problem behavior, more severe disciplinary consequences will be assigned.