shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Frequently Asked Questions

Page address:

Information Center

One stop for all of your Continuing Education questions:

How to Register:

Ways to Afford:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Policies & Procedures:

Department of Continuing Education

Attendance Policy

In order to receive a Certificate of Completion or Continuing Education Units (CEUs), students must attend the scheduled classes and meet the evaluation criteria set by the course instructor.

Top of Page

Cancellation, Refund, Class Transfer, & Substitutions

If you find it necessary to cancel your registration, please contact the Continuing Education office immediately at 507-389-1094 or 800-311-3142 or email.  Please retain confirmation of your cancellation.

1 day programs:
Notification must be received two (2) business days prior to the workshop offering (i.e. Cancellation must be received by 4:30 PM on Monday for a Thursday course; or Thursday for a Tuesday course the following week).

  • Notifications will be accepted using telephone, U.S. Mail, fax, e-mail, or hand delivery.

2-3 day programs:
Notification must be received three (3) business days prior to the first class date (i.e. Cancellation must be received by 4:30 PM on Monday for a Friday course; or Thursday for a Wednesday course the following week).

  • Notifications will be accepted using telephone, U.S. Mail, fax, e-mail, or hand delivery.

Programs 4+ days in length:
Notification must be received five (5) business days prior to the first class date.

  • Notifications will be accepted using telephone, U.S. Mail, fax, e-mail, or hand delivery.

Financial Planning Certificate Program ONLY:
In order to receive an incomplete “I” in a given course, the student is required to notify the Program Coordinator on or before completing 12 hours of the total 44 instructional hours (this is equivalent to 3 weeks in the online course).  If an incomplete is received, the student will have 2 years to make up the course work.  The student may retake the exact same course (one-time) on a space available basis within that two year period.

Substitutions of one class participant for another will be approved: 

  • Substitutes arriving on the first class date will be required to document the substitution in writing on the class roster and complete registration materials prior to the beginning of class.
  • Unfortunately, Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credit will not be awarded for substitutions made after the first date of class. 

Cancelled Class

Students enrolled in an activity that is cancelled by Minnesota State University, Mankato (MSU,M) are entitled to a full refund. MSU,M reserves the right to cancel activities that do not meet minimum enrollment levels or for other good cause. Students will be notified of cancellations prior to the first date of class.  Top of Page

Certificate of Completion

Certificates of Completion are awarded upon completion of  non-credit courses/programs. Individual participants will receive a certificate suitable for framing. The certificate indicates that the individual met the attendance requirements for the program.

Top of Page

Changes to Program Offerings

Continuing Education reserves the right to modify or cancel programs and substitute presenters without notice.

Top of Page

Continuing Education Units

Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are a nationally recognized means of recording non-credit study. Many employers and re-licensure agencies accept them as evidence of your serious commitment to career advancement and the maintenance of professional competence. One CEU is defined as 10 contact hours of satisfactory participation in an organized continuing education experience, under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction.

Top of Page


All programs are copyrighted.  Video, audio, and/or photographic recordings are not permitted. Materials distributed as a part of any program entitle the user to reference the materials, but may not reproduce, distribute, or store them electronically, photographically, video graphically, digitally, or by any other means.

Top of Page


Upon registration, your class reservation is confirmed via an email when registration is complete.  Please be sure to mark your class information on your calendar. You will be notified if your class has been cancelled.

Top of Page

Hours of Operation

Continuing Education Department Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except national & university holidays.

Parking at Miinnesota State Mankato at Edina

Minnesota State Mankato at Edina is located at 7700 France Avenue, 2 blocks north of Interstate 494 on the corner of France Avenue and Minnesota Drive. Guests, frequent visitors, as well as evening and weekend visitors are asked to park on the west side of the building in a larger lot and enter through the West entrance.
Arriving from the north on France Avenue:
·         Exit off of France Avenue onto W 76th St. Turn right into the first driveway after the stoplight at 76th (by the 7700 France South sign) and park. 
·         The West entrance is unlocked between 6:00AM-9:00PM Monday – Thursday, 6:00AM-5:30PM Friday and 8:00AM-1:00PM Saturday. The East (France Ave side) is open 6:00AM-5:30PM ONLY Monday-Friday. All guests should enter through the West entrance and in off hours will need to use either the button or phone to reach Dispatch and get buzzed in.
Arriving from the south on France Avenue:
·         Coming from the South on 169, take 494 east then head north on France. An alternate route is to exit 169 onto Old Shakopee Road and turn north on France.
·         Turn left on Minnesota Drive. 
·         Turn right into the first driveway and park in the large parking lot on the west side of the building.
·         The West entrance is unlocked between 6:00AM-5:30PM Monday – Thursday, 6:00AM-9:00PM Friday and 8:00AM-1:00PM Saturday. The East (France Ave Side) is open 6:00AM-5:30PM ONLY Monday-Friday. All guests should enter through the West entrance and in off hours will need to use either the button or phone to reach Dispatch and get buzzed in.
Parking on the weekend:
·         Follow France to Minnesota Drive. Turn left if coming from the south; turn right if coming from the north.
·         Turn right into the first driveway and park in the large west parking lot. Use the west entrance at the top of the stairs/ramp.
·         The West entrance is unlocked 8:00AM-1:00PM. There are both a button and a phone to reach Security to get buzzed in.  
To Minnesota State Mankato at Edina Suites:
·         There are two sets of elevators (North Elevators and South Elevators), follow the building signage to the North Elevators.
·         Take the North Elevators to the third floor.
o   Suites B, C & D (Reception Area) – take a right after exiting the elevator
§ Suite D (Reception Area) is straight ahead
§ Suite C is down the hall, turn right before MSU’s glass doors, turn left at the end of the hall and take first right
§ Suite B is down the hall, turn right before MSU’s glass doors, turn right at the end of the hall and then another right
o   Suite A – take a left after exiting the elevator, suite entrance is the first right.
        To the right of the TV on the wall on Lobby Level.

Top of Page

Payment Policy & Forms of Payment

Full payment is recommended at the time of registration (or notification of 3rd party billing) for individuals enrolling in a course.  Payment that is not made at the time of a workshop registration will be billed by Minnesota State University, Mankato.  The majority of our short course fees include instructional materials. For the Financial Planning Certificate Program and occasionally for other programs, students will be advised to purchase their book(s) in advance. Meals and/or beverage breaks are included only if specifically mentioned in individual program descriptions. Travel and lodging are not included.  MSU,M will not be liable for unusable or non-refundable expenses incurred in anticipation of participation in a program that is cancelled for any reason.

Payment for registration fees may be made by personal or company check, money order, by credit card (Visa, MasterCard and Discover accepted), cash or by submitting a purchase order or third-party authorization (Bill-to-company). A third-party authorization must be approved in writing by an authorized representative of the company.

Top of Page

Registration & Program Availability

Courses offered through Continuing Education are self-supporting through registration fees. Please register early to avoid disappointment. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis and remains open until class maximum is met.

Top of Page

Senior Enrollment Policy

Minnesota residents 62 years or older may register for courses not targeted toward senior citizens, without paying a registration fee on a space available basis. Senior students must meet all prerequisites and course requirements.  Qualified seniors should contact the Continuing Education department to inquire about registration for a course. Verification will be required by the Registrars Office at the University.

Senior Enrollees are subject to the following class fees in non-credit courses:  cost of materials and textbooks.

Top of Page

Special Needs & Accommodations

Individuals with a disability who need reasonable accommodations to participate in any event are asked to contact Continuing Education at 507-389-1094 or 800-311-3142 at least five working days prior to the day of the event.

Top of Page

Tax Deduction for Educational Expenses

Program fees and expenses for professional development purposes (including travel, meals, and lodging) paid to maintain and improve professional skills may be tax deductible. The Continuing Education office recommends that you seek the advice of the IRS or a qualified tax advisor to determine your individual status.

Top of Page

Transcript Information

A complete, computerized transcript of each professional development activity attended at Minnesota State University, Mankato is maintained for individuals completing a program. Individuals can request an unofficial or official hour-based transcript by contacting the Office of the Registrar. A nominal service charge applies for official transcripts.

Top of Page

Additional Information

Contact our office if you have additional questions not answered here at 507-389-1094, toll free: 1-800-311-3142 or email.

Top of Page

Employer Reimbursement

Does your company offer employee reimbursement for continuing education courses? Many companies do because it directly affects employees job performance, keeps the company up to date, and boosts employee morale. If your company will pay for your continuing education, get approval from them for the specific program(s) you want to attend and then register.  Depending upon your company's policy, you may pay for the program with your company card; with a purchase order request and check from your company; or pay with your own funds and request reimbursement from your employer. These are the most common methods of employer payment, but be sure to talk to your supervisor or HR department to find out the specifics in your company.

Top of Page

Personal Investment

In order to move ahead in your career you may need to invest in continuing education for your professional development. Think of this as an investment because it will open up new opportunities for you in your current position or one you desire to move into.

Top of Page

Workforce Development

Although layoffs and cut-backs in companies across the country can be disheartening, people can take advantage of government funded programs through Workforce Development Centers to enroll in professional development programs. Some job transitioners use this opportunity to refine their skills in an area they are quite familiar with, while others choose to learn a new skill set that can make them more marketable to potential employers.

We have experience working with these centers, and try to make the process as easy as possible for students and their counselors. First, meet with a counselor at a Workforce Development Center to determine what will be of the most benefit to you and your professional development and get their approval to take a program. Next, register online or call us and let us know you are working with one of these centers. Your counselor will then fax us their official authorization and will send us payment directly.

Top of Page