Maverick Family Nursing Simulation CenterPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/continuinged/simulation/
“I utilized the Simulation Center for an educational course I facilitated for nurses, physicians, and advanced practice providers. The course required space for lecture as well as breakout sessions for skills stations. The facility was beautiful, spacious, and exceeded expectations. Minnesota State University, Mankato Simulation Coordinators were very knowledgeable and actively involved from planning to implementation.”
Rachel Kiecker, MSN, RN, CCRN
Nursing Education Specialist
Nursing Clinical Practice, Education & Quality
Mayo Clinic Health System Southwest MN Region
“One of the best simulation facilities I have seen both in the US and around the world. The staff is simply outstanding in both knowledge and help to the participants”
Zeev N. Vain, MD, MBA, FAAP
Director, System Redesign & Value based Healthcare, HPRI
Executive Director, Center of Stress & Health
Chancellor’s Professor, Anesthesiology & Medicine
University of California School of Medicine, Irvine, CA
Workforce Training Solutions
Industry professionals receive critical training within the new state-of-the art Simulation Center located on the campus of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Simulation technology nursing professionals will create training solutions customized to meet the learning objectives of each client and group.
- Immersing staff in real-life situations improves proficiency while providing critical training and hands-on exposure to high-risk low occurrence incidents.
- Training options also address professional certifications, industry requirements, and facility goals.
Family Nurse Communication Expertise
Simulation training sessions incorporate highly effective family nurse communication techniques. This approach, unique to Minnesota State University, Mankato’s School of Nursing, uses curriculum developed by world-renowned faculty. Research has shown that improved family-nurse communication increases nurse competence, confidence and patient satisfaction scores.
- 16,000 square-foot state-of-the-art Simulation Center and Learning Resource Lab
- Multi-bed skills lab with 8 functioning beds and 1 ceiling transfer lift
- 13 high-fidelity manikins, ranging from newborns to adults
- Family suite with full-functioning kitchen, bathroom and murphy bed
- On-site conference planning, catering and free parking
- Video capture capability during simulation and debriefing
- Customize environments to replicate a variety of workplaces such as ER, OR, End-of-Life, OB Gyn
- Create scenarios that address safety concerns or improve quality
- Introduce and practice new skills and standards
- Explore interprofessional communication techniques
- Increase staff competence and confidence in working with families
Technology Training Tools
- Specialized programs delivered workplace violence and restraint application, AIDET communication network, Fundamental Critical Care Support (FCCS) course by Mayo
- Task trainers for IV, NG, Med Dispense
- Hospital beds and lifts for transfer and body alignment
- Vital Sim (breath sounds, heart rhythms, blood pressure)
- Sterile field applications
- Z-Space (3D anatomy viewer)
- Rooms are equipped with audio and video
- Simulations can be live streamed to debrief rooms for observation
- Playback of simulation video for debrief, essential to participant learning
- Debrief rooms allow for self-reflection and peer evaluation
Tiffany Gordon, Simulation Coordinator for Workforce Training
Assistant Professor, School of Nursing
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Louise Dickmeyer, Director of Continuing & Professional Education
Minnesota State University, Mankato
(507) 389-3283 or (507) 382-7756
The Maverick Family Nursing Simulation Center is located in the Clinical Sciences Building at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
Clinical Sciences Building, 150 South Road, Mankato, MN 56001