The Demanding StudentPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/counseling/faculty/demanding.html
Any amount of time and energy may simply not be enough for some students. Such students often seek to control your time and unconsciously believe that the amount of time received is a reflection of personal worth. In many instances, these people feel incompetent to handle their own lives.
- Set clear and precise limits with the student.
- Stick to the limits you set.
- Let the individual make his/her own choices, clarifying the logical consequences of such choices.
- Encourage the student to utilize other appropriate sources of support; refer the student to other students in class, their friends, and/or campus/community resources.
Responses to Avoid
- Taking responsibility for the student.
- Letting the student "trap" you into solving more and more of his/her life problems.
- Allowing the student to use you as a sole source of support.