Membership StructurePage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/csw/membershipstructurhtml.html
President’s Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW) Membership & Expectations
To effectively achieve its purpose, the PCSW recognizes and values inclusion of multiple perspectives and diverse voices in its membership. This document details PCSW membership processes, to be transparent about membership selection and to encourage inclusion of diverse perspectives.
The President’s Office coordinates membership of the President’s Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW), working with the bargaining units and the MSSA to establish members. Each spring, the PCSW evaluates the status of current members, and determines who is eligible for renewal (faculty/staff members can serve up to 2 consecutive, 2-year terms; student members serve for 1 year terms). Those eligible for renewal are contacted to determine if they want to continue. After this process, vacancies and current PCSW membership information are shared with the President’s Office. The President’s Office contacts MSSA and bargaining units who have positions open on the PCSW, and requests representatives. Representatives are selected by the respective bargaining units.
The PCSW seeks to include many perspectives, and values diversity. Individuals interested in serving on the PCSW should respond to a call from MSSA or their respective bargaining unit.
Faculty and staff PCSW members typically serve a minimum of two years, with the option to extend, but not to exceed six consecutive years. Undergraduate and graduate students will serve for one year terms; student members can request renewal for additional terms.
Some campus positions serve on the PCSW permanently, unless otherwise determined by the President:
- Women’s Center Director or designee
- Gender & Women’s Studies chair or designee
- LGBT Center Director or designee
- Institutional Diversity representative
- International Student Office representative
- Equal Opportunity & Title IX Director or designee
- Director of Security or designee
- Liaison to Minnesota State University, Mankato President
- Current HERS participant representing PCSW
- Current Graduate Assistant for PCSW
Bargaining Unit Representation – Each bargaining unit listed below has at least one member on the PCSW. The number of PCSW members per bargaining unit is determined by the proportion of employees in a particular bargaining unit. One member will be appointed from bargaining units or plans with less than 30 members. These bargaining units/plans include: Commissioner’s Plan, MGEC, MNA, and Managerial Plan.
- AFSCME (2)
- Excluded Administrator (1)
- IFO (4)
- MAPE (2)
- MMA (1)
- MSUAASF (2)
- Commissioner’s Plan, MGEC, MNA, and Managerial Plan (1)
Student Representation – 1 member each preferred
- The PCSW includes diverse membership.
- A tri-chair system (chair, chair-elect, and past-chair) allows for PCSW leadership to build upon past experiences, new ideas, continuity, and provide on-going support for the commission as a whole.
- The President appoints an excluded administrator to serve as liaison to the President.
- Members can request renewal at the end of 2-year terms. Renewals are subject to appointment by respective bargaining units and are limited to 4 consecutive years.
- All PCSW members, with the exception of the liaison, are voting members.
- Vacancies that open up during the year will be filled as determined by the PCSW, in conjunction with the bargaining units and the President’s Office.
- Membership vacancies will be determined by the PCSW during April of the academic year, and are shared with the President’s Office. After this, the President’s Office contacts MSSA and bargaining units who have positions open on the PCSW, and requests representatives. Representatives are selected by the respective bargaining units.
- Individuals interested in serving on the PCSW are encouraged to contact their bargaining unit president at any point during the academic year about membership. Keep in mind that available vacancies for the year may have already been filled.
- Members will be expected to commit to approximately 2 one-hour meetings per month, and to contribute on subcommittees of interest. The PCSW has several standing subcommittees, for example: Women Supporting Women Research & Professional Development Funding, HERS Recommendation, Women of Courage & Vision Reception. Additional subcommittees may be formed as determined by the PCSW, and the President’s charge. Members are expected to participate on at least one subcommittee, and are encouraged to participate on two or more. Further, members are expected to participate in various PCSW-sponsored events throughout the academic year. There will be open communication between the chairs and members throughout the year regarding expectations.
- Members have the opportunity to add items to meeting agendas, and can expect a formal call for agenda items at the beginning of each semester. Additionally, visitors may attend PCSW meetings to present information. Visitors who wish to attend a meeting and present, need to have prior approval, and are required to contact a current PCSW member to make a formal request. The first ten minutes of the approved meeting will be set-aside for visitors who wish to present information to the PCSW.