shortcut to content

Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minnesota State University, Mankato
Page address: http://www.mnsu.edu/facilities/buildings.html

Buildings

Minnesota State University encompasses 354 acres including 77 acres of protected ravine areas. For more information contact Facilities Planning at (507) 389-2267 or email Facilities Planning at facilities-planning@mnsu.edu. For additional photos and details visit MSU's Campus Tour website. For MSU's landmarks, visit our landmarks webpage.

Alumni Foundation Building

The Minnesota State University Foundation funded construction of the Alumni Foundation building. The State of Minnesota later leased space within the building to house programs like KMSU-FM, Alumni Affairs, Development, and Extended Education.
Year Completed: 1989
Square Footage: 17,400
Building Cost: $1,272,906

Andreas Theatre

The Andreas Theatre is an experimental theatre connected to the Earley Center for Performing Arts. The Andreas Theatre includes a 200 seat, 60'x70' studio theatre, concessions area, dance and movement studio, scenic and costume design studio, green room, dressing rooms and graduate assistant offices. A matching grant from Lowell and Nadine Andreas stimulated other donors to cover the cost of the $3.4 million structure.

Year Completed: 2000
Square Footage: 19,469
Building Cost: $3,434,224

Andreas Observatory

Made possible by a $230,000 gift from Lowell and Nadine Andreas of Mankato. This building houses a state of the art telescope. In addition to classroom and research use, it is open to the public for astronomical events.

Year Completed: 1990
Square Footage: 1,863
Building Cost: $240,000

Armstrong Hall

Named in honor of Grace Armstrong, who taught professional education for 36 years (1927-63). Armstrong Hall is a classroom building.

Year Completed: 1964
Square Footage: 143,966
Building Cost: $2,009,389

Athletics Concessions, Restrooms (West Building)

The athletics concessions building is located between the women's soccer field and women's softball field.

Year Completed: 2009

Blakeslee Field

Blakeslee Field, also known as Blakeslee Stadium, was constructed in 1963. It was named in honor of Carlyn P. Blakeslee, athletics administrator and coach, who served the institution for 37 years (1924-61). The 7,000 seat facility offers great sitelines and a natural grass surface. Since 1966 Blakeslee Stadium and nearby practice fields have served as the summer training camp for the National Football League's Minnesota Vikings.

Year Completed: 1963
Square Footage: 19,433
Building Cost: $80,000

Carkoski Commons

The commons area linking Crawford Center and McElroy Center, known as Carkoski Commons was named in honor of Chester (Chet) A. Carkoski, in 1990. Chester Carkoski was the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Housing from 1960 to 1973. Carkoski Commons is home to the Residential Life Office, Health Services, and a large dining area for residents of McElroy, Crawford, and Sears. Effictive January 2017, the large dining area of Carkoski Commons was replaced with the University Dining Center.

Year Completed: 1958
Square Footage: 80,200

Centennial Student Union

The "CSU" opened its doors 100 years after the founding of Mankato Normal School. In 1972, a "Second Phase," three level complex was added housing a bookstore, ballroom, cafeteria, deli, gameroom, bowling alley, auditorium, and various offices. In 1999, Phase III cost $5 million with a three story addition on the west end. All construction and operations have been and continue to be funded through student activity fees. Another phase affecting the building's southern exposure was completed in 2006 and cost $11 million.

Year Completed: 1967, 1972, 1999, 2006
Square Footage: 202,144

Center Of Renewable Energy (CORE)

Minnesota State University, Mankato gratefully acknowledges the generous contributions of the following organizations. With their support, the mission of the Center for Renewable Energy Research became a reality. The Center of Renewable Energy conducts research in the area of emissions testing and biofuel.

Year Completed: 2010
Square Footage: 6300
Building Cost: $1.8 million

Clinical Sciences Building

Clinical Sciences Building houses labs for the School of Nursing, the Department of Dental Hygiene in partnership with South Central College's Dental Assisting Program, and the Department of Communications Disorders (Speech, Hearing and Rehabilitation Services). These labs and client work areas provide students real-world practicum experiences and patient interaction. Clients are drawn from the local and regional area.


Year Completed: 2017
Square Footage: 79,131
Building Cost: $28.883 Million

Crawford Residence Community

The Crawford Residence Community was named in honor of Clarence L. Crawford, seventh president of the MSU, serving as president of Mankato State College from 1946 to 1965. A, B, and C wings were constructed in 1958. D wing was constructed in 1964.

Year Completed: 1958,1964
Square Footage: 241,406
Beds: 800

Ford Hall

Leonard A. Ford Hall, the southeast wing of the large Trafton Science Center, was named after Dr. Leonard A. Ford, a significant figure in the history of Minnesota State University, Mankato. Dr. Ford was a professor of chemistry from 1939 until his death in 1967. He served as chairman of the Chemistry Department from 1939 to 1947, and was Chair of the Division of Science and Mathematics from 1947 to 1965. The dental assistant and nursing programs (part of the College of Allied Health and Sciences) also owe their beginnings to Dr. Ford. He initiated Minnesota's first science fair in 1950.

Year Completed: 2008
Square Footage:
66,783

Gage Center

Since 1965 over 50,000 students lived in the 135-foot twin towers of Gage. Each tower held 650 beds. Eventually the years took their toll to the point that Gage elevators were not as fast as they could be and the wear and tear on the dining areas and common spaces were significant. The twin towers of Gage were imploded June 29, 2013. 

  • Watch Demolition Video
  • Ode to Gage
  • Year Completed: 1965
    Square Footage: 141,894
    Building Cost: $2.57 million

    Highland Center

    Highland Center was constructed in 1962. It houses swimming pool, coaches offices, and the departments of Intercollegiate Athletics, Recreational Sports, and Human Performance.

    Year Completed: 1962, 2003
    Square Footage: 141,894
    Building Cost: $2,144,780

    Highland North

    Highland North was constructed in 1979. It houses Schellberg Gymnasium and faculty offices.

    Year Completed: 1979
    Square Footage: 47,699
    Building Cost: $3,168,300

    Myers Field House

    The Myers Field House was named after Earl "Bud" Myers who coached MSU teams for 31 years and captured a combined 25 Northern Intercollegiate (NIC) and North Central (NCC) Conference titles during that time. The $11 million 84,000 sq. ft. field house was completed in 2001. It is a state-of-the-art facility that supports NCAA track and field events; practice space for softball, baseball, tennis, and student intramurals; along with a multi-purpose venue for the departments of Human Performance and Recreation. The newest addition to the Fieldhouse is a popular rock climbing wall in the southeast corner of the facility.

    Year Completed: 2001
    Square Footage: 82,308
    Building Cost: $10,288,152

    McElroy Residence Community

    McElroy Residence Community was named in honor of Frank D. McElroy, sixth president of MSU. E, F, and G wings were constructed in 1961. H and I wings were constructed in 1964. (A remodeled I Hall became part of the Margaret R. Preska Residence Community in fall, 2012.)

    Year Completed: 1961,1964
    Square Footage: 208,763
    Beds: 1,000

    Memorial Library

    Named in honor of faculty and community members who made significant contributions to the growth of this institution, and the graduates who gave their lives in service to their country. An addition was built in 1992, and much remodeling has been done. A large portion of the third floor now houses the Office of Information Technology Services as well as offices for Minnesota State IT Services.

    Year Completed: 1967,1992
    Square Footage: 246,365
    Building Cost: $14,090,749

    Morris Hall

    Named in honor of history professor, Albert B. Morris, who taught at MSU for 36 years, from 1919 to 1955. It is home to the College of Business. The departments of Urban and Regional Studies, Geography, Government, Ethnic Studies, Gender & Women's Studies, Economics, Dental Hygiene, the Undergraduate Research Center and the Honors Program also call Morris Hall home. The Morris Addition was built in 1979.

    Year Completed: 1968,1979
    Square Footage: 66,761
    Building Cost: $2,345,230

    Nelson Hall

    When it opened in 1962, Nelson Hall was intended to be an industrial arts building. It is now home to the departments of Art and Mass Media. Its east wing houses labs for Automotive Engineering Technology

    Year Completed: 1962,1979
    Square Footage: 64,693
    Building Cost: $1,847,032

    Otto Recreation Center

    First constructed as Highland Center, it served as MSU's center for physical education and athletic competitions. The name was changed to "Otto Arena" in honor of former athletic director and football coach Robert "Bob" Otto. A $8.4 million remodeling was completed in fall 2005 which converted the building's primary function to that of a fitness center. The building was renamed to Otto Recreation Center as a result.

    Year Completed: 1962
    Year remodeled: 2005
    Cost: $8.4 million

    Pennington Hall

    Named after Charles Pennington, an alumnus who served as a volunteer on the MSU Foundation Board, the Annual Golf Classic Committee (athletics scholarship fund-raiser) and other boards and committees. The Mankato State University Foundation, Inc. funded initial construction of the building. The State of Minnesota later leased the space for classrooms.

    Year Completed: 1986
    Square Footage: 4,196
    Building Cost: $284,700

    Earley Center for Performing Arts

    The name suggests the disciplines of theatre, music, and communication studies, which are housed within. It also houses the Ted Paul Theatre (seats 529) and E.J. Halling Recital Hall (seats 350).

    Year Completed: 1967
    Square Footage: 87,887
    Building Cost: $1,785,038

    Margaret R. Preska Residence Community

    Named for former University President Margaret Preska (1979-1992), this structure includes the latest improvements for the 500 residents living there, along with offices for New Student and Family Programs. Most of the semi-suites house four residents, and a limited number of single semi-suites are available. The main floor includes classrooms and gathering spaces. This building is adjacent to Carkoski Commons, providing indoor access to the Carkoski Dining Hall.

    Year Completed: Fall 2012
    Square Footage: 109,773
    Building Cost: $29,925,000

    Julia A. Sears Residence Community

    Named after Julia Sears (1840-1929) who served as the Head of the Mankato Normal School from 1872-1873. She is celebrated as the country's first female leader of a co-educational public college in the United States. While in Mankato, Sears served as a professor of mathematics before being recommended for the position of principal by her predecessor George Gage. Under Sears, Mankato Normal School celebrated its highest enrollment to date with 121 full time students. Despite Sears' popularity, she was not asked to retun to the chief office of the institution after one year. The decision sparked a student walkout, known as the Sears Rebellion, and students were expelled for insubordination. She was recruited by the George Peabody Normal School in Nashville, Tennessee, where she served as the head of the Mathematics Department from 1875-1907. Sears served as a consultant to Susan B. Anthony and worked on passage of the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution.

    Year Completed: 2008
    Square Footage: 150,275
    Beds: 608

    Standeford Observatory

    Named after Leo V. Standeford, professor of astronomy at MSU from 1969 to 1981, Standeford Observatory was built in 1982. The telescopes there are used for visual observations by MSU students and other observatory visitors.

    Year Completed: 1982
    Square Footage: 200

    Taylor Center

    Taylor Center, with a total area of 142,951 square feet serves as the gateway to campus for students, alumni, faculty, staff and visitors. The building houses Bresnan Arena, and is the home of Mavericks basketball, volleyball and wrestling.

    Year Completed: 2000
    Square Footage: 142,951
    Building Cost: $18,410,374

    Trafton Science Center

    Named in honor of professor of biology and onetime Chairperson of the Division of Science and Mathematics, Gilbert H. Trafton. Trafton’s main building and the Trafton addition (1994) house various science, engineering and technology classrooms, offices and laboratories.

    Year Completed: 1972,1994
    Square Footage: 280,804
    Building Cost: $17,245,311

    Wiecking Center

    Formerly Wilson Campus School, the building was renamed Wiecking Center in honor of Anna and Emma Wiecking, who were faculty members for a combined total of 76 years. Wiecking currently houses University Security, University Facilities, Children's House, the departments of Construction Management and Family & Consumer Sciences, the Trio Programs, Military Science, Printing Services and classrooms, including the Wiecking auditorium. An annex, built in 1983, fhouses shops for the building trades and printing services.

    Year Completed: 1959,1983
    Square Footage: 108,405
    Building Cost: $1,764,105

    Earle J. Wigley Administration Building

    Named in honor of teacher, coach and administrator Earle J. Wigley, who served MSU from 1933 to 1970. This building houses the offices of the president, Human Resources, Academic Affairs, Fiscal Affairs and Student Affairs Offices, among other key administrative offices.

    Year Completed: 1979
    Square Footage: 48,933
    Building Cost: $1,485,709

    Wissink Hall

    Named in honor of former a chairperson of the Department of Physics and Astronomy, and former MSU dean, Dr. Gerrit M. Wissink. This building houses the Academic Computer Center, departments of Mathematics and Statistics, Computer and Information Sciences, and the School of Nursing, and several classrooms.

    Year Completed: 1987
    Square Footage: 65,725

    University Dining Center

    This new dining hall is serving more than 3,000 students, with more than 49,000 square feet of eating space.

    Year Completed: 2017
    Square Footage: 49,075
    Building Cost: $31.4 million

     


    SEATING CAPACITIES - AUDITORIUMS AND LARGE GATHERING SPACES

    Facility Number of Seats
    Andreas Theatre 200
    Armstrong Hall 101 161
    Armstrong Hall 102 112
    Blakeslee Stadium 6,000 + 1,500 Portable
    Bresnan Arena (in Taylor Center) 4800
    Centennial Student Union Ballroom (capacity varies by set up) <886
    Elias J. Halling Recital Hall
    (located in the Earley Center for Performing Arts)
    350
    Myers Fieldhouse
    (bleachers only)
    3,000
    Ostrander Auditorium (Centennial Student Union) 349
    Ruth Schellberg Gymnasium
    (bleachers only)
    350
    Ted Paul Theatre 539
    Trafton Auditorium C - 121 339
    Trafton Auditorium C - 124 145
    Wiecking Auditorium 267
    Taylor Center <5,000