shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Dedications and Memorials

Page address: http://www.mnsu.edu/facilities/facservices/dedications/dedications.html

All around the Minnesota State University, Mankato there are trees, benches, gardens and plazas dedicated to, or in the memory of someone who has had a profound presence here. We honor their spirit and commitment to Minnesota State Mankato.

Outdoor Dedications Map

Brochure - Memorials and Dedications

  • Brochure Draft Under Review

Dedications

Please click on the picture below to view a larger version.

PLAQUE
LOCATION
DESCRIPTION
# ON MAP
OBJECT
Wilson Campus School
Wilson Campus School was built in 1959 as a K-12 laboratory school on the "new" upper campus of MSU. Until 1968, Wilson was a traditional school, when it became a public non-traditional school, operating on a 12-month schedule. There were no required classes or report cards, variable schedules, individual programs, and multi-age activities. It received national recognition for its unique concepts. In 1974, the Minnesota Legislature decided to close all laboratory schools on all college campuses, however Wilson was spared. Then in 1974, when the lower and upper campuses consolidated, the Minnesota Legislature recommended Wilson be closed, and the building be put to use for the University.
1
Tree
Shurson Gardens
Shurson Gardens - Dedicated in memory of Judy Shurson, long time administrative assistant for Printing Services.
2
Gardens
Jane Rush Gathering Place
Jane Rush Gathering Place - Dedicated October 12, 2001 - In honor of Jane L. Rush (1945-1999) and her many contributions to students and campus life during the presidency of Richard R. Rush.
3
Place
Hickory Tech Employees
Dedicated to HickoryTech Employees, many of whom are MSU alumni.
4
Bench
Theodore Nydahl
Dedicated to Dr. Theodore L. Nydahl, whose career began in 1928 at Mankato Teacher's College. He chaired the Social Studies Dvision on "lower campus", then taught in Armstrong Hall from 1957 on. He became the first dean of MSU's College of Arts and Science, retiring in 1971.
5
Bench
Mankato Area Foundation Plaque
In honor of Mankato Area Foundation, an organization dedicated to building a community of individuals who believe in the strength of giving.
6
Bench
Johanna Weblemoe Plaque
A beautiful park bench is dedicated in memory of Johnanna Weblemoe, whose affiliation with the University goes back to the early days of Mankato Teacher's College.
7
Bench
Devina Anderson Memorial Tree
This tree planted in memory of Devina Anderson, an MSU law enforcement alum who was heavily involved in Science and Engineering Fairs in high school, receiving many awards, including a Grand Slam award for four consecutive years at the International Science and Engineering Fair.
8
Tree
Marso Schmitz Plaza Plaque
Marso-Schmitz Plaza - Dedicated October 12, 2001 - In memory of Leo and Mary (Anderly) Marso '34 - Given by their daughter, former MSU Foundation president, Mary Marso-Schmitz '68 and friends.
9
Plaza
E. Dale Peterson Plaque
This tree planted in memory of E. Dale Peterson - Professor of Economics, 1959 - 1992. His caring and compassionate nature won the hearts of many faculty, staff and students.
10
Tree
Duane Orr Plaque
In Honor of Duane C. Orr, Ed.D, Dean, College of Education, for his service to the TRIO Programs, Upward Bound, Talent Search, and Student Support Services from 1978 to 1993.
11
Tree
Alumni Plaza Plaque

The Alumni PlazaDedicated July 10, 1993, the Alumni Plaza is a gift to Minnesota State University, Mankato from alumni and friends. The plaza is designed as a campus gathering place and focal point for recognizing those alumni and friends whose names are inscribed in the plaza bricks. The Plaza Arch, from the former valley (lower) campus, is the oldest architectural tie with the University's past. The bricks in the tower represent the present. The class cap at the top of the tower represents our reach into the future. This plaque is a gift from MSU's Emeriti Faculty Family

12
Plaza
Amos Owen Plaque
Amos Owen, a member of the Prairie Island Indian Community, was a Dakota elder, pipe carrier, and spiritual leader. A WW II veteran, Owen was severely wounded in battle while serving with the US Army in the Philippines. He returned to the US and studied traditional Native American beliefs from Sioux medicine men. He dedicated his life to preserving the Dakota language and culture.
13
Tree
Pamela Byers-Kearny Plaque
Pamela Byers Kearney, long time Mankato community volunteer leader and MSU alum ('67), received the Harold J. Fitterer Distinguished Alumni Service Award in memorium in 2005. She was instrumental in starting Bridge Elementary School in Mankato, and was passionately involved with VINE, Educare, the Mankato Area Foundation, the Mankato Symphoney Orchestera, and the Wynn and Pamela Kearney Family Foundation. Shortly before her death in 2004, she established the Pamela Byers Kearney Presidential Scholarship Endowment Fund to provide a talented student with full tuition at MSU. Her philanthropic generosity lives on to this day.
14
Tree
MSU Faculty Wives Plaque
This park bench was donated to Minnesota State University, Mankato by the MSU Faculty Wives in celebration of their fiftieth anniversary - 1935-1985.
15
Bench
Pan-African Conference Plaque
Dr. Michael Fagin founded the Pan African Conference in 1977. Its primary goal is to build student leadership and to provide an opportunity for academic scholars, students, professionals and community members to discuss the issues affecting African people on a local, national and international level.
16
Tree
Ione Howe-Louk Plaque
While pursuing her education at MSU as a non-traditional student, Ione contributed invaluable energy and expertise in the task of formulating the Women’s Studies major, and her grassroots work led to the creation of the Women’s Center on campus. She earned a Master's degree in Continuing Ed in 1983, at the age of 71. The Ione Howe-Louk scholarship is awarded to a deserving student each year. She was involved in many organizations including the League of Women Voters, of which she held the office of State President for two years, PTA, the United Fund, and Girl Scouts. She worked with her church as a librarian, communion coordinator, and with Sunday school.
17
Tree
Tim Smith Plaque
This garden honors the memory of Tim Smith, a reference librarian and assistant professor who worked at MSU from 1987-99. Tim is fondly remembered by family, friends and colleagues for his caring attitude, his kindness, and his respect for evereyone he met.
18
Garden
Jerome Berger Plaque
Waves - In memory of Jerome W. Berger, Class of 1969 and presented by Mrs. Doris Berger and the Centennial Student Union. Sculptor, Arnold J. Greuter. Constructed by Jones Sheet Metal Products, Mankato.
19
Sculpture
Law Enforcement Memorial Plaque
"Sit, rest and reflect a while." Installed May 15, 1998 by the MSU Law Enforcement Club in memory and recognition of their graduates and all law enforcement officers, especially those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
20
Bench
Johanna Weblemoe Plaque
Johanna M. Weblemoe was affiliated with the university from 1938-1964. A plaque in her honor is on the Otto Arena building sign.
22
Sign
Dr. Truman Wood Plaque
Dr. Truman Wood taught political science at MSU from 1961 - 1991. Dr. Wood established an endowment to fund scholarships to political science students. Preident Davenport said, "Dr. Wood connected the discipline of political cience to the community through his commitment to service. The service that he and Reta (his wife) have given to us not only made our community better, it nurtured future community leaders through the Wood Scholarship."
23
Sign
Carol Stallkamp Plaque photo needed Carol Stallkamp devoted 34 years of service to MSU, beginning in 1978 as a student loan clerk typist, and working her way through the ranks to the assistant to the president, a position she held for 11 years. She received the Outstanding Service Award for the President's Division in 2009-10, and also received a SHero (She Helps Everyone Realize Opportunities) award. NA Plaque
Richard and Jane Rush Plaque
A bronze plaque on the side of the limestone building sign for Wigley Administration Building honors former president Richard R. Rush and his wife, Jane Rush. During his tenure he repositioned MSU as a statewide University; enhanced the learning environment, particularly through expanded national and statewide programs and faculty support; refocused attention to external fund raising resulting in more than $35 million raised, more than the cumulative total of the University's previous history. He changed the name of the university to Minnesota State University, Mankato to reflect the institution's growing mission; created a regional lobbying group of community and business leaders to advocate for southern Minnesota at the Legislature; established and expanded the Global Wireless Education Consortium; created a business/industry partnership with South Central Technical College; planned and implemented Learning Communities, First Year Experience, Maverick Hall and Freshman Orientation; instituted full-tuition Presidential Scholars program; and elevated the men's hockey program to Division I, receiving NCAA approval and admission into the Western Collegiate Hockey Association. During his tenure, the Andreas Theatre was constructed, as was the Taylor Center.
24
Sign
Chet and Helen Carkoski Plaque
Chet Carkoski was the assistant dean of students and director of housing from 1960 - 1973 here at MSU.
25
Sign
Taylor Center Plaque
Taylor Center was made possible through the generous support of Glen A. Taylor, 62'. Taylor grew up on a farm in Comfrey, Minnesota, and then attended MSU, receiving a BS in mathematics, physics and social studies. During and after college, he worked for Carlson Craft, which he purchased in 1975. Today, Taylor Corporation emloys over 15,000 people naton-wide, and is headquartered in North Mankato. Mr. Taylor has been very generous with his support at MSU.
26
Bulding
Plaque listing donors

This impressive planter, located on the south side of Wigley Administration Building, was made possible through the generosity of:
Bolton & Menk, Inc.
Cedar Lake Electric, Inc.
Inspec, Inc.
Johnson Controls, Inc.
Johnson, Sheldon, Sorensen, Architects
LS Engineers, Inc.
Robert and Jean Schramski
F.J.Zwickey
1997

27
Planter
SAE Memorial Plaque
This plaque, located on the north side of Nelson Hall near the AET garages, honors the memories of the 2005 Formula Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Competition team, Wes Loutsch, Jamie Schlachter and Chad Wilson killed in a tragic accident.

Dedicated on August 28th, 2009
28
Place
Amos Owen Memorial Plaque
Amos Owen was a Dakota elder and spiritual leader who wanted to preserve and restore traditional Dakota beliefs and practices. He believed that the suppression of Native American peoples had led to many parts of their culture being almost forgotten, and that this was a loss not only to Native Americans, but also to all people. This garden honors Amos' commitment to cultural and spiritual renewal, cross-cultural understanding, and Native people's contributions to world food systems.
29
Place