shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

The University email system will be offline for maintenance starting Dec. 19 at 10 p.m. for up to 72 hours. For more information please visit


International Travel

Page address:



International Travel Steps

Please follow the guidelines below when planning to engage in professional, university activities involving international travel:

Travel Permissions:

  • You must complete the ‘Request for Approval of Out-Of-State Travel’ form at
  • Check the U.S. Department of State travel website to see what travel advisory designation the country has been given.
  • If the country you are traveling to is on the U.S. Department of State travel website and has a Level 3 or Level 4 designation, you will need to complete this additional form.
  • If the country has a Level 4 designation, you will not be able to use university funds for the trip.

Emergency Preparedness:

  • When traveling internationally, please make sure to ‘Enroll in STEP’ which allows the Department of State to better assist you in case of an emergency while you are abroad.
  • Redpoint is a service available to state employees at no additional cost for those who have a Securian life plan.
    • The service provides coverage for repatriation of mortal remains. If used the service will arrange and pay all necessary and ordinary expenses up to $50,000.
    • In the event of a security emergency, Redpoint will provide evacuation to the nearest safe area. A security emergency is defined as an event causing the officials of a country you are travelling in (including the US) to issue reasons, other than medical, for you to leave that country. This service covers up to a maximum of $150,000.
    • Employees should contact Redpoint for pre-trip information, terms and conditions prior to travel. In the U.S. and Canada, they can be contacted at 1-855-516-5433. From other locations, call collect at 1-415-484-4677.

Health Insurance:

  • Employees should contact their health care provider regarding coverage when traveling abroad.