RequirementsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/honors/currentstudents/requirements.html
Like most graduation designations, the Honors Program has established a set of curricular and co-curricular requirements you must complete to graduate from the program. In honors, the required combination of coursework and co-curricular activities provides opportunities for you to demonstrate achievement and competency in leadership, research, and global citizenship.
Honors Program students enroll in a flexible and innovative hybrid curriculum that results in a choice of two designations on a student's transcript: Honors Program Graduate and Honors Program Graduate with Distinction. Both options include
- a 1-credit introductory course (Honors FYEX or HONR201);
- 6 credits of honors upper-level seminars (HONR401) -> students can substitute up to 3 credits with HONR450-Service Learning, HONR455-Practicum, or HONR499-Independent Study; and
- a 1-credit senior portfolio (HONR475)
Students who choose to graduate Honors with Distinction also take 6 credits of honors sections of General Education courses.
In addition to honors coursework and activities toward competencies, you must demonstrate competency in a second language. Your language competency can be demonstrated through course completion or examination.
Finally, honors faculty members assist you with the development of an annual personal development plan and an honors portfolio, both of which document your goals and your participation in the required courses and activities. Each plan and portfolio is unique. Your portfolio may include examples of your work, personal reflection of your learning, and other individualized evidence of your progress through your years at Minnesota State Mankato. During your first semester of your senior year, you will present and discuss your portfolio with the honors faculty.
Current honors students are expected to complete the following:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or above.
- Complete a learning plan in the fall. See pg. 17 of the handbook for more information about this concept.
- Attend a fall advising appointment. Click here for information on how to schedule an appointment using MavConnect.
- Submit an annual electronic portfolio in the spring. See the portfolio page for more information about this concept.
Please see pgs. 10-11 of the handbook for steps that will be taken if a student does not meet any of the above expectations.