Glossary of HR TermsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/glossary/index.php?id=a
Terms beginning with the letter(s):
- The time during which an employee is away from their job and not performing work related duties.
- Accrual Date
- The date on which sick leave, vacation leave, and/or personal leave begins accumulating. Usually the first date employee is in a position in a leave eligible status.
- Adjunct Faculty
- Those that teach 10 credits or less per academic year, and are paid a per credit rate.
- Administrative Systems Review Process (ASRP)
- A group consisting of both human resources and payroll staff representing a number of MnSCU institutions. The group works collaboratively to develop and document system-wide processes with a goal of assisting their HR and payroll colleagues to carry out consistent and correct business practices.
- Affirmative Action
- Specific actions in recruitment, hiring, upgrading, and other areas designed and taken for the purpose of eliminating the present effects of past discrimination, or to prevent discrimination. It is one aspect of the federal government's efforts to ensure equal employment opportunity.
- American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
- Union representing the majority of the classified positions within MnSCU such as clerical, custodial, technical and maintenance workers.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- A federal anti-discrimination law which prohibits private employers, state and local governments, employment agencies and labor unions from discriminating against qualified individuals with disabilities in job application procedures, hiring, firing, advancement, compensation, job training and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment. This law (covering employers with 15 or more employees) is designed to remove barriers that prevent qualified individuals with disabilities from enjoying the same employment opportunities that are available to persons without disabilities. When an individual's disability creates a barrier to employment opportunities, the ADA requires employers to consider whether a reasonable accommodation could remove the barrier.
- Annual Leave
- A form of paid time off available to eligible employees. Time typically accrues based on length of employment and may be used for excused absences from work such as vacations, personal reasons, religious/cultural observances, absences due to adverse weather conditions etc. Refer to applicable bargaining contract or personnel plan for eligibility, accrual, use, and all other applicable procedures. Use is generally subject to advance supervisory approval.
- A person receiving an annuity (payment) from one of the State's Retirement Plans such as TRA, MSRS, or PERA.
- Applicant Pool
- All of the applicants for a particular position who form the collection of candidates from which selection decisions are made.
- Appointing Authority
- A person or group of persons empowered by the constitution, statute, or executive order to employ persons in or to make appointments to positions in the civil service.
- An alternative dispute resolution method that uses a neutral third party (i.e. arbitrator) to resolve individual, group or labor-management conflicts and issue a binding decision.
- The tasks or duties given to an employee during the course of their employment.