Glossary of HR TermsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/glossary/index.php?id=c
Terms beginning with the letter(s):
- President's Leadership Team made up of Vice Presidents...
- Change in Allocation
- Action taken regarding a position's classification when duties have changed substantially in an abrupt manner, e.g. reorganization.
- Civil Service
- All employees in the legislative, judicial and executive branches of state government and all positions in the classified and unclassified services, as provided in MS 43A.
- Classification (Job Classification)
- The designation given to jobs at comparable levels which require similar knowledge skills and abilities where all of the following apply:
- The same descriptive title may be used with clarification to designate each position allocated to the class
- The same general qualifications are needed for performance of the duties of the class
- The same schedule of pay can be applied with equity to all positions in the class under the same or substantially the same employment conditions (M.S. 43A.02)
- Classified Service (Classified Employees)
- Positions now existing or hereafter created in the civil service and not specifically designated unclassified pursuant to M.S. 43A.08 or other enabling legislation. (Includes positions in AFSCME, MAPE, MMA, Managerial Plan, MNA, MGEC, and Commissioner's Plan)
- COBRA - Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985
- Federal law which ensures the right to continuation of insurance coverage when coverage would otherwise end because of a life event known as a "qualifying event". Continuation coverage must be offered to each person who is a "qualified beneficiary".
- Collective Bargaining Agreement
- An agreement negotiated between the State and exclusive representatives executed by the parties and approved by the Legislature which covers compensation and terms and conditions of employment for all employees represented by an exclusive representative certified pursuant of Chapter 179.
- Confidential Data
- Data on individuals which is not public and is not accessible to the individual subject of that data by statute or federal law. (Example: active investigative data)
- Confidential Employee
- As defined in M.S. 179A.03, subd. 4: "An employee who, as part of the employee's job duties: has access to labor relations information as that term is defined in M.S. 13.37, subd. 1, paragraph (c); or actively participates in the meeting and negotiating on behalf of the public employer." These employees are not represented by unions. They are subject to the provisions of the Commissioner's Plan.
- Cost Center
- The 6-digit number which references a particular program, area, or department within the accounting structure of a MnSCU institution.
- Customized Training
- All non-credit instruction with an occupational/professional focus offered to the general public, or all credit and/or noncredit instruction offered via contract to a specific customer.