Glossary of HR TermsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/glossary/index.php?id=lmn
Terms beginning with the letter(s):
- Labor Relations
- The relationship between the public, public employees, and employer governing bodies. It is public policy of this state to promote orderly and constructive relationships between all public employers and their employees.
- A temporary termination of employees, or the elimination of jobs, during periods of economic downturn or organizational restructuring. Refer to applicable bargaining agreement or personnel plan.
- ID card which allows you access to University dining, library, athletic games, campus recreation center, and student activities. Other uses consist of: vending card, photocopy, ATM card, Debt card, and MavPrint Card.
- Minnesota Deferred Compensation Plan (MNDCP)
- A plan which allows employees to place a portion of their earnings in a tax-deferred investment program. The deferred amount is not subject to current income tax and is not taxed until money is drawn out--normally at retirement.
- Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (MGDPA)
- Minnesota Statute Chapter 13 which regulates the collection, creation, storage, maintenance, dissemination, and access to government data in government entities. It establishes a presumption that government data are public and are accessible by the public for both inspection and copying unless there is federal law, a state statute, or a temporary classification of data that provides that certain data are not public.
- The state agency that includes all the Minnesota’s public community colleges, technical college, and state universities, except for the University of Minnesota.
- MOA - Memorandum of Agreement
- An instrument recording some fact or agreement. Used by MnSCU Labor Relations to formally record agreements concerning employment issues which occur outside of the bargaining and/or negotiations process.
- MOU - Memorandum of Understanding
- Document used by MnSCU Labor Relations that expresses mutual accord on an issue between two or more parties. MOUs are generally recognized as binding, even if no legal claim could be based on the rights and obligations laid down in them.
- MSRS - Minnesota State Retirement System
- The primary retirement fund for all state employees in classified positions.
- Minnesota State Universities Association of Administrative & Service Faculty
Favoritism shown to relatives or close friends by those in power. Occurs when supervisors and or employers favor relatives in making employment decisions. Employees shall not participate in the selection, hiring, supervision, or performance review of, or decisions regarding compensation or staff complement for, any person who is a member of the employee’s family or household. (See Nepotism Policy)
- Non-Exempt Employees
- An employee who does not meet any one of the Fair Labor Standards Act exemption tests and is paid on an hourly basis and covered by wage and hour laws regarding hours worked, overtime pay, etc.
- The term used when a probationary employee is notified that they are being released from their position prior to the end of their probationary period. See applicable bargaining contract or personnel plan.