shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Page address:

Getting Married?

General Information

If you are getting married or have recently gotten married, please review the following information regarding benefits, taxes, and beneficiary designations.

To view information about a particular topic, click the applicable link from the list on the left.

Change In Marital Status

Required Form: Name & Address Change Form

Status & Name Change

To change your marital status or name*, complete the "Name & Address Change Form" (above) and submit to Human Resources, WA 336. (Also available at

* If you are changing your name, you must present your social security card showing your new name.

Address Change

If you are changing your address, use the same form as listed above.

Note: We cannot change your name in our payroll system until you have changed it with Social Security, so you may have to submit a name change separately after you have filed the change with Social Security.

Health & Dental - Dependant Coverage

To add dependent health and/or dependent dental coverage complete the Application for Basic Coverage available at The form must be submitted within 30 days of the marriage (no earlier than 30 days before, no later than 30 days after). The coverage will take effect on the date of marriage.

* Please note: If you already carry dependent coverage, you will need to complete a Dependent Change Form rather than an Application for Basic Coverage.

Life Insurance - Spouse

To apply for Spouse Life Insurance complete the "Application for Optional Coverage" at

You may add up to $10,000 without evidence of good health if you apply within 30 days of the marriage. Any amount over $10,000 or after 30 days, you must answer the spouse health questionnaire.

If you want to update your life insurance beneficiary designation, you will find a Beneficiary Designation Form at the MMB web site above.

Long Term Care Insurance - Spouse

You may request an application packet and Spouse Enrollment Form for Long Term Care Insurance from Human Resources (Ph. 2015).

The application may be submitted any time after you are married. Completion of a short health questionnaire is required. (There is no window of time that allows enrollment without evidence of good health)

Retirement Beneficiary Designations

If you want to update your retirement plan beneficiary designations, contact only the plans in which you have retirement savings:

  • TRA at 1-800-657-3669
  • MSRS and Deferred Compensation Plan at 1-800-657-5757
  • TIAA at 1-800-682-8969

For questions contact Tara Sprengeler, Benefits Administrator at 507-389-2016 or Email:

Tax Withholdings

If you want to change your tax withholding status, you can do that on the Employee Self-Service web site,

Click on Other Payroll and W4 and MWR to bring up your current withholding status and enter the changes you wish to make. For questions contact JoAnn Scholtz at 389-2191.