Remote Hires Working Within the U.S.
I-9 Information for
Employees Not Working on Campus
Occasionally, a department may hire an employee who is to be paid by the University and provide services to the university, yet will not physically work on the university campus. Regardless of where employees will physically perform their duties, if employed within the United States, the Form I-9 must be completed. (Note: this does not apply to individuals working outside the United States.)
INFORMATION & LINKS
The Remote Hire process and form have been designed to help employees fill out the Form I-9 even if they do not ever come to the Minnesota State Mankato Campus.
An authorized agent must be assigned to complete the form for the University. It is the responsibility of the employee being hired to work with Minnesota State Mankato Human Resources to locate possible authorized representatives to assist in completion of the Form I-9. (For information or questions please call Human Resources at 507-389-2015.)
An authorized agent is someone that Human Resources authorizes to act as an agent for Minnesota State Mankato, such as a notary public, attorney, outside personnel officer, etc. The agent should be chosen carefully, because Minnesota State Mankato will be held responsible for the actions of the agent.
Procedure for Remote Hires Working Within the U.S.(Printable Version)
- The hiring department completes the TOP section of the Remote Hire Notice form, including the employee’s date of hire. (The second section titled “Agent/Representative Information” is completed by Human Resources.)
- After completing the top section, the hiring department sends the Remote Hire Notice form to Minnesota State Mankato Human Resources, along with the rest of the hiring paperwork for the individual (except the Form I- 9).
- Human Resources will coordinate with the employee and possible agents to identify a designee able and willing to complete the Form I-9 on the University’s behalf.
- Once a designee is identified, Human Resources fills in the second section of the Remote Hire Notice form, identifying the designated agent, and sends the completed form along with the Remote Hire Notice Instruction Sheet to the employee along with the Form I-9 and the I-9 instructions.
- The employee completes section 1 of the Form I-9 only. This needs to be completed on or before the first day of work.
- The employee presents the Form I-9 and acceptable documents to the authorized agent, who will complete section 2 of Form I-9 within three (3) business days of the employee’s start date.
- All I-9 paperwork procedures and deadlines are the same.
- The employee must return all forms completed by the agent along with the Remote Hire Notice to Minnesota State Mankato Human Resources.