Recruitment and Appointment of Graduate Assistants
The following procedure is to be used in the recruitment and employment of graduate assistants.
All graduate assistant positions must have a position description which includes a comprehensive list of required qualifications for the position.
All graduate assistant positions must have a description of duties associated with the position and a vacancy notice should be completed annually.
All graduate assistant position descriptions must be submitted to Human Resources for approval prior to posting on the MSU website and other appropriate locations. At a minimum, the vacancy notice should be posted or sent as follows:
- Posted in the department or administrative unit with the vacancies
- Institutional Diversity Office, MH 265
- Career Development Center, WA 209
- Women's Center, SU 218
- Equal Opportunity & Title IX Office, AH 112
The following statement must be included on the Vacancy Notice:
"Contingent upon satisfactory performance and available funds, there is a possibility that this appointment may be continued beyond the initial period of employment."
The appointment of a graduate assistant is initiated by the hiring department/administrative unit completing the Graduate Assistant Work Authorization Form (WAF)*, which is then routed to the Dean (if applicable), appropriate Vice President, Graduate Dean (AF 115) and the Office of Business Affairs – Student Payroll (WA 236). *(WAF is a 4-part document only available from University Stores.)
The department/administrative unit should document and keep the following materials for a period of four years:
- A record of recruitment activities
- A listing of all applicants together with reasons why they were or were not recommended for appointment.
All graduate assistant positions must adhere to university policy on the use of graduate assistants. Please consult the College of Graduate Studies and Research if there are questions. See guidelines and application at: http://grad.mnsu.edu/assistantships/.
General Principles for Graduate Assistants
In recognition of the pluralistic nature of American society, every effort should be made to attract applications from American ethnic minorities.
Appointment to a graduate assistantship is contingent upon the following:
- Being accepted to the Minnesota State Mankato College of Graduate Studies and Research;
- Being admitted to the academic program in which the graduate assistant will study;
- Being enrolled in graduate level course(s) and carrying a minimum of six hours of credit per semester.
If women, teachers of color and teachers with disabilities are not in your discipline in significant numbers, efforts should be made to aggressively recruit them as graduate students so the future pool of faculty applicants is greater.