Employee Complaint Procedure
Minnesota State Mankato, is committed to providing employees, including student employees, appropriate avenues for redress of all concerns and complaints. This procedure is designed to provide employees a mechanism for review of matters including, but not limited to issues covered by the Workplace Environment Policy (workplace violence and harassment).
Protected Group Status
Complaints of discrimination based on protected group status must be filed with the Affirmative Action Office pursuant to MnSCU Board Policy 1.B.1 and procedure 1.B.1.1.
An employee or faculty member who has a concern about the conduct of a student should direct it to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, as well as file a complaint under this procedure. Non-Employee Students with concerns and complaints about other students should follow the Policy on Student Concerns.
Concerns related to matters covered by collective bargaining agreements must be filed in accordance with those agreements.
What you need to know...
- Complaints should be filed with immediate supervisor (unless they are the alleged wrongdoer).
- Supervisors will try to resolve the complaint within 10 working days.
- Anyone in a bargaining unit has a right to bargaining unit representation.
- Supervisors will notify those involved in writing, of the resolution, and document the date.
- If you are not satisfied with the resolution you can appeal the determination with your divisional Vice President within 5 working days.
- If your supervisor is a Vice President then you can appeal to the President.
- If your complaint is against a Vice President then you would file it with the President.
- The President and Vice President have 10 working days to issue a final written decision.
- Complaints against the President should go to the Chancellor’s Office.
- The Chancellor’s Office has thirty days to reach a decision and has final authority for complaints pertaining to the President.
- Investigating authorities can extend timelines but must notify you in writing as to why.
- There is accountability for actions.
- Retaliation will not be tolerated.