Page address:


Students enrolled in a college, university, conservatory, or seminary whose training programs are "an integral part of an established curriculum" may apply to the international student advisor for curricular practical training (CPT) authorization. Such training is defined as "alternate work/study, internship, co-operative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school."

Eligibility Criteria

You are eligible to apply for CPT authorization if the following are true:

  • You are maintaining lawful F-1 student status
  • You have completed at least nine (9) months of full-time study, unless you are enrolled is a graduate program that requires an internship earlier.
  • The internship must either be a major requirement, a specific course requirement, or part of a cooperative education agreement between MSU, Mankato and a company. It cannot be used to fulfill elective requirements.

Instructions for Application

Application materials can be picked up in the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) in CSU 250 or downloaded here. If you meet the above eligibility criteria, you will need to make an appointment with an advisor in the ISSS to obtain CPT authorization on the back of your I-20. The following items are required before the authorization can be granted, so please bring them to the appointment:

  • Current I-20
  • "Curricular Practical Training Academic Advisor Verification Form" completed and signed by your advisor
  • Current unofficial transcript
  • Photocopy of the page's in the MSU, Mankato catalog which show the internship is a required part of your major or a specific course.
  • Document proof of enrollment in internship credits
  • Offer of employment letter from the company/institution where you will work; including the name of the company, location (city and state), brief job description, dates of employment and number of hours per week.