shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato


Page address:

Transferring to Another University

If you wish to transfer your SEVIS record to another school, you must complete the transfer out form in advance. You will need to be accepted to a new program and you need to complete the transfer process during that 60 day grace period which will allow you to start that new program within five months of the end of your OPT period.

1. Transfer In Form – Some colleges/universities request information on your present SEVIS status and other records. You may need to submit a Transfer In or Advisors Verification form to our office which will be completed/sent by one of our Designated School Officials.
2. [PDF] Transfer Out Form (75 KiB) - Our office requests for you to designate in writing where you wish to transfer your SEVIS record. Note: you may be accepted to many schools, but you may only have your SEVIS record transferred once.
3. Health Insurance Refund - Once accepted and your SEVIS transfer is in process, you may request a refund if NOT moving to a Minnesota State institution.

Returning to Your Home Country - Departing the U.S.

To return home with the intention of staying at home (not returning to MSU for study):

Please provide copies of your plane ticket to confirm your final date of leaving the U.S. For F-1 students, upon graduation you have a 60 day grace period to prepare for your departure. If you withdraw from all coursework prior to graduation (mid-term), you only have 15 days grace period.

Temporary Absence (Leave of Absence) with the intent to return for study at Minnesota State University, Mankato

What the CISS staff does with your SEVIS record depends on whether or not you are absent from the U.S. for longer than five months or not. You need to contact our office at least two-three months in advance of your intended return.

1. Please complete the “Leave of Absence” notification in advance of your departure which will inform us of your intended return date.
2. Provide proof of intended departure (for example, copy of plane ticket).
3. Health insurance refund. You may contact Kathy Grant at Student Health Services (507-389-6276 Ext 244) to discuss impact on pre-existing conditions if you later return to MSU.
4. Apply for in-state tuition in advance. If you intend to return for a future term, apply for in-state tuition in advance to potentially resume your in-state scholarship award upon your return.

While on Optional Practical Training

1. Copy of approved OPT (Employment Authorization Card/Document or EAD). Immigration has been slow to update SEVIS and some information has been incorrectly entered by USCIS. If we have a copy of the card, we can update your SEVIS record to reflect your approved OPT status.
2. Update of your employment/volunteer activities in your field of study. F-1 regulations now request information on your activities while on OPT to ensure you are utilizing the OPT benefit for enhancing your degree program. Immigration states that more than 90 days of unemployment could be problematic for your F-1 status. Therefore please report any paid or unpaid employment to our office:
3. You may only request an insurance refund while on OPT if you provide proof of employer insurance to confirm such a benefit. MSU insurance will continue until current year end date.

When must I start classes at my new school?

In all cases, the student must start attending classes within five months of the last day he/she attended classes or the next available session, whichever comes sooner. New initial students must have a program start date that is within 30 days of their arrival in the United States.

However, if the next available term is the annual (or summer) vacation, the student may take a vacation if he or she meets all of the following qualifications:

  • The student has already completed a full academic year
  • The student can start classes within five months from the date of:
    • Finishing classes at the transfer-out school, or
    • The end of a period of authorized OPT.

The student must be sure to coordinate all his or her plans with the new DSO