D2L BrightspacePage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/its/academic/d2l.html
Desire2Learn (D2L) Brightspace is the learning management system (LMS) we use here at Minnesota State, Mankato. Whether courses are online, blended, or face to face, D2L Brightspace is the driving mechanism for delivering content or supplemental materials for courses. Also includes a place for discussions, announcements, dropbox for assignments, quizzes, gradebook, and more.
On this page, you will find simple start-up and get help information:
- Request a D2L Brightspace course
- Get started with D2L Brightspace
- Get your questions answered at D2L Drop-in Hours
- Schedule a workshop or consultation
As well as information about course requests, deletions, and upgrades:
- Course request schedule
- Course deletion schedule
- Updates schedule, release notes of updates and features
- Faculty Documentation & Getting Started for Instructors tutorial videos from D2L Brightspace
- Student Documentation & Student Technology Resource Center D2L Brightspace help
Faculty & Teaching Assistants: Get your questions answered on the spot! Stop-in or call-in to D2L Drop-in hours:
- Location: ML88, Center for Excllence and Innovation
- Phone: 507-389-1048
- Email: email@example.com to auto-create a help request ticket with the IT Solutions Center.
Customized workshops for programs, departments, and Teaching Assistants, as well as individual consultations are available on demand, contact us to schedule your training:
- Who can request a D2L Brightspace course?
- Step-by-step: How to Request a D2L Brightspace Course
- Course Request Schedule: Course request becomes available about two months prior to each semester start.
- Request schedule for 2019:
- For Spring 2019 courses, course request is available October 17, 2018
- For Summer 2019 courses, course request is available March 13, 2019
- For Fall 2019 courses, course request is available May 8, 2019
- Request schedule for 2020:
- For Spring 2020, course request is available (coming soon!)
- For Summer 2020, course request is available (coming soon!)
- For Fall 2020, course request is available (coming soon!)
Semester courses are removed/purged from D2L Brightspace on a two-year cycle. Here is the 2019 removal schedule:
- Fall 2016 (20173) courses will be removed starting Feb. 1, 2019
- Spring 2017 (20175) courses will be removed starting July 1, 2019
- Summer 2017 (20181) courses will be removed starting Oct. 1, 2019
Here is the 2020 removal schedule:
- Fall 2017 (20183) courses will be removed starting Feb. 1, 2020
- Spring 2018 (20185) courses will be removed starting July 1, 2020
- Summer 2018 (20191) courses will be removed starting Oct. 1, 2020
Recommended best practice: Export your gradebook and course materials every semester, and save on a password protected device/server. Note: Course removal does not affect non-credit university offerings such as Development, Training, Sandbox, etc... courses.
D2L Brightspace is a cloud-based software that is updated with new features and fixes on a monthly basis around the 15th of each month. Faculty can preview and test out new features and changes up to a week in advance of updates in the campus Quality Assurance (QA) site. Log into the QA site with your StarID credentials. Note: QA is not a live site, students do not have access to QA.
Release Notes for Instructors: Learn about the newest updates and features of D2L Brightspace.
- September 2018: Relase Notes for Instructors (v10.8.5)
- October 2018: Release Notes for Instructors (v10.8.6)
- November 2018: Release Notes for Instructors (v10.8.7)
- December 2018: Release Notes for Instructors (v10.8.8)
- January 2019: Release Notes for Instructors (v.10.8.9)
- February 2019: Release Notes for Instructors (v.10.8.10)
- March 2019: Release Notes for Instructors (v.10.8.11)
- April 2019: Release Notes for Instructors
Release Notes for Students: Learn about the newest updates and features of D2L Brightspace.
- September 2018: Release Notes for Students (v10.8.5)
- October 2018: Release Notes for Students (v10.8.6)
- November 2018: Release Notes for Students (v10.8.7)
- September to December 2018: Cumulative Release Notes for Students (v10.8.5-v10.8.8)
- January 2018: Release Notes fro Students (v10.8.9)
- February 2019: Release Notes for Students (v.10.8.10)
- March 2019: Release Notes for Students (v.10.8.11)
- April 2019: Release Notes for Students
Below you will find resources and step-by-step information for answering the most commmon questions Teacher's ask about D2L Brightspace. For additional training or help, please stop in to a D2L Drop-in Hour or contact us to set up a workshop or consultation.
- How do I add a Teacher's Assistant, Grader, or Co-Teacher to my D2L course?
- How do I share my D2L Brightspace course materials with others?
- How do I copy course materials from one semester to another?
- I have a .zip file course package, how do I import the materials into my course? How to I create that .zip file to share? Export your materials.
- Why would I want to merge/group/consolidate D2L Brightspace courses?
- I have a non-semester or training/communication "course" how do I request bulk manual enrollment in the course?
- How do I randomize quiz questions?
- How do I make a quiz with a random set of questions unique to each student?
- How do I give one student an extended due date or time limit on a quiz?
- How do I add automatic feedback on a quiz?
- How can I quickly make a print copy of a D2L Quiz? How can I quickly transfer a Word document quiz into D2L Brightspace? Answer: Use Respondus Quiz Maker.
- How do I delete a Content module?
- How do I make my course more mobile friendly? Use the embedded accessible and mobile responsive documents, apply Due Dates/End Dates for all items, and teach from Content.
- How to I link a grade item to an Assignment folder?
- How do I set-up an Intelligent Agent to email my students automatically when they haven't accessed their course in a few days?
- What is Class Progress and how can I use customizable learning analytics to support student success?
- The textbook publisher says I can push grades and set up single click sign on from D2L Brightspace to our online text and activities. How do I set that up? Request a third-party integration.
- Office 365 & D2L Brightspace: How do I log into the Office 365 widget on D2L? How do I upload a document into Content from my OneDrive? How can students upload a OneDrive document into an Assignments submission folder?
- What is Top Hat and How do I set it up to sync with my D2L Brightspace course?
- What is Knewton Alta and How do I link it to my D2L Brightspace course?
- Why did a student who failed my course "disappear" from D2L? How do I view grades, submissions, etc... of students who failed? How to check to see if a student withdrew from a D2L course? See enrollment statistics and request re-enrollment.
- How do I change my email in D2L Brightspace?
- How do I change the Start and End dates of my course?
- How do I request guest access or get a substitute faculty access in a D2L Brightspace course?
The homepage announcements on D2L Brightspace for Teachers and Students are designed to provide helpful information and udpates on course requests, deletions, updates, features, tips, and more! You can find an archive of those announcements here:
Archived Announcements for Instructors:
- September 2018: Archived Announcements for Instructors
- October 2018: Archived Announcements for Instructors
- November 2018: Archived Announcements for Instructors
- December 2018: Archived Announcements for Instructors
- January 2019: Archived Announcements for Instructors
- February 2019: Archived Announcements for Instructors
- March 2019: Archived Announcements for Instructors
Archived Announcements for Students:
- September 2018: Archived Announcements for Students
- October 2018: Archived Announcements for Students
- November 2018: Archived Announcements for Students
- December 2018: Archived Announcements for Students
- January 2019: Archived Announcements for Students
- February 2019: Archived Announcements for Students
- March 2019: Archived Annoucements for Students