Open Educational ResourcesPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/its/academic/open_ed/
Concerned about textbook affordability? So are we!
What are Open Educational Resources?
Open Educational Resources (OER) are accessible, open-license documents or media that can be used for teaching and learning. OER are generally offered under more flexible intellectual property licenses, such as the Creative Commons. Open Educational Resources are generally low or no-cost and include free and open-source software.
Academic Technology Services has compiled a dynamic list of Open Educational Resources for you to explore. If you currently use a resource not on our list, please contact an instructional designer and we will update it.
Minnesota State University, Mankato is now a member of the Open Education Consortium, a collaborative network of educators and professionals dedicated to expanding Open Education options around the globe. Check out their website for resources and tools related to Open Education!
How can I use these in my classroom?
What are my options for publishing my own OER?
The Minnesota State University, Mankato Memorial Library offers an open-access publishing platform for a multitude of resrouces. Consider Cornerstone for hosting your open materials!
Interested in getting your novel, dissertation, poetry collection, or children’s book into ebook and print-ready formats? Pressbooks is an easy-to-use, online tool that allows you to create professional-quality versions of your book in ePUB, MOBI, PDF, and more formats. mlpp.pressbooks.pub/
What do MNSU students have to say about textbooks? Watch the video to find out!
What are some options for reducing textbook costs?
There are many options for reducing the textbook costs in your courses other than OER.
- Talk to a representative from one of our bookstores to see what options they offer.
- The MNSU library offers a course reserve service where you can place the textbook on reserve for your students to check out
- Work with a librarian to see if your textbook is housed in our ebook collection and available to check out
- Talk to a librarian at the Blue Earth County Public Library to see if your literature or other required readings could be made more widely available for check out
- Check to see if an earlier edition of the textbook could be used rather than the latest edition
- Ask yourself if the textbook is really necessary or if you cover it all with lectures and other readings
Open Educational Resource Creation Pilot
IT Solutions and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning are offering an opportunity to participate in a pilot project by contributing to the creation of an Open Educational Resouce that we can use right here at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
Carrie Lewis Miller
OER Graduate Assistant