Connecting to MavNET with XP
Page address: http://www.mnsu.edu/its/mavnet/xp.html
- Starting from the Windows XP Desktop.
- Click on the Start Menu and then click on "Control Panel."
- In the window that opens, double click on "Network Connections"
or click "Network and Internet Connections,"
then "Network Connections".
- Right click on "Wireless Network Connection" and click on "Properties" in the menu that opens.
- Click on the "Wireless Networks" tab in the new window.
- Be sure that the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" checkbox is checked, then click on the "Add..." button below the "Preferred networks" list.
- In the Network Name(SSID) textbox type "MavNet-Encrypted". Be sure that "Network Authentication" dropdown menu is set to WPA, and that the "Data Encryption" dropdown menu is set to AES. (If you have WPA2, select that instead.)
- Now click on Authentication tab on top. For EAP type select Protected EAP (PEAP), also make sure "Authenticate as computer..." check box is not selected. Now click on Properties button under the "EAP type" dropdown menu.
- In the window that opens, check the "Validate server certificate" checkbox. Check the "Connect to these servers" checkbox and type in "acs.mnsu.edu". Under the "Trusted Root Certification" list find and check the "Go Daddy Class 2 Certification Authority" checkbox. Select "Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)" from the dropdown menu under "Select Authentication Method:" Find and check the "Enable Fast Reconnect" checkbox at the bottom of the window. Click on the "Configure..." button to the right of the "Select Authentication Method" drop down menu.
- A pop-up box will appear, uncheck the "Automatically use my Windows logon name and password" box. Then click "OK"
- Click on "OK" in each open window until you are back at the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" window.
- Once back to this window, if "MavNet" is listed under the Preferred networks list, click on it and then click Remove. Click OK.
- A balloon will appear in the lower right of your screen that says, "Unable to connect to preferred wireless network." Click on it.
- A new window will appear with the available wireless networks. Click on the one that says "MavNet-Encrypted" then click on the "Connect" button in the lower left of the window. Note: If you selected WPA2 this window will not appear.
- A status window that says "Please wait while Windows connects to the 'MavNet-Encrypted' network." will appear. Wait for this window to disappear.
- A "Wireless Network Connection" balloon will appear while you are waiting, click on it now to log on to the wireless network.
- On the log on screen put your Campus user name in the "User name" text box, your Campus password in "Password" box, and for the "Logon domain", type CAMPUS. Click OK.
- If no error message appears you have successfully set-up your connection!