Using Drop Boxes with MacsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/its/started/mavdisk/dropmac.html
- How to put files in staff dropboxes
- How to retrieve information from my dropbox
- General dropbox information
Note: For off-campus dropbox submissions see http://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/submitfile.html
- Connect to MavDISK and open the volume "Faculty & Staff Dropboxes"
- Click the letter corresponding to the staff person's last name.
- Drag and drop files from their location onto the folder name. Attempting to open the folder will cause an error to occur unless you are the staff member of your choice. Dropping files/folders on the folder name copies the information into that folder. Once information has been dropped onto the folder' it is locked away until the staff member opens the folder and retrieves the files.
- If you attempt to open a folder that is not your own, you will receive the following error:
Follow the instructions for putting files into a dropbox from a Macintosh (See above) but go to your folder name and double click the folder name. This will open the folder which you can then drag & drop files onto your desktop.
For off-campus dropbox submissions see http://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/submitfile.html
- Q: Does the files and folders put in my dropbox count against my quota?
- A: No. MavDISK was designed so that the dropbox folders would not be held against the user's quota of 100 MB.
- Q: Why can't a student drop files into my dropbox from off-campus (this includes the dorms)?
- A: Currently, the only two connection methods for off-campus users are: Secure Shell and WebDAV. These protocols only allow access to your folder. To allow off-campus access to write-only area threatens information security on the server. In the future, when VPN and Proxy connections are available for the Minnesota State University, Mankato community, you will be able to connect by mapping drives and volumes, allowing dropbox and temporary space use.
- Q: How do I get notified if files have been put in my dropbox?
- A: An email notification will be sent daily if files are present in the staff member's dropbox.
- Q: Why don't students have dropboxes?
- A: Due to the overhead for supporting the dropbox feature, we were only able to provide it for staff members.
- Q: How do I delete a file that was dropped into my teacher's dropbox?
- A: You don't. Dropboxes ONLY allow the staff members to read and delete information from the folder. Everyone else can only write.
- Q: I get an error that the file already exists. Does this mean my file is in the dropbox?
- A: When dropping files in the dropbox, make sure it has an unique name. Consult your instructor about naming guidelines.
- Q: Can someone over write a file I have placed in a dropbox?
- A: No. That requires change access to the folder, which only the owner has permission to do.
Questions on dropboxes can be emailed to the firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507-389-6654 Monday through Friday.