News HighlightsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=1397264591&paper=topstories
April 23-26: 'Maverick Musings,' an Evening of Six Original Short Plays
Performances in Andreas Theatre.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Department of Theatre & Dance News Release, 4-11-2014
The Minnesota State University, Mankato Department of Theatre & Dance will conclude its academic year play roster with “Maverick Musings,” an evening of six original short plays written by students in the Playwriting class taught by alumnus Bruce Jones of Minneapolis. Performances are 7:30 p.m. April 23-26 in the Andreas Theatre of the Earley Center for Performing Arts.
The plays are a combination of 10-minute and one-act originals selected from both last spring’s and this fall’s classes. Directors are the three Master of Fine Arts students who directed the previous shows in the Studio season: Matthew Caron, Rusty Ruth and Michael Sheeks. Shows were cast during the most recent departmental auditions. The shows and their authors are:
- “Three Months” by Jake Sullivan, a sophomore BFA musical theatre candidate from Andover, Minn., directed by Caron, a first-year MFA directing candidate from Mankato—Mitch Taylor has just found out he has three months to live. He realizes how important every second he has lived has been.
- “Perennial” by Sullivan, directed by Ruth, a third-year MFA directing candidate—Clara and Luke, a young couple, discuss the life of a perennial and what it means to take your life into your own hands.
- “Hearing God Laugh” by Jordan B. Wolfe, first-year MFA acting candidate from East Grand Forks, Minn., directed by Sheeks, a first-year MFA directing candidate from Roseville, Minn.—A retired priest, Steve, and a man who has lost touch with God, Brandon, confess to a bartender, Christoff.
- “The Girl” by Joshua Helgeson, a senior theatre generalist from Sioux Falls, S.D., directed by Caron—Old mementos trigger memories as "The Girl" tells a story of love and the tragedies that come with it.
- “Robbing Death” by Mark Deel, a senior transfer theatre generalist from Fridley, Minn., directed by Sheeks—A man who thinks he has nothing to live for has a crazy encounter with a burglar.
- “Forgiveness” by Amanda Forman, a senior BFA acting candidate from Tiffin, Iowa, directed by Ruth—What happens to cause an individual to take his or her life? Matthew discovers himself in a strange new world.
Tickets for the full night of short plays are $10 regular, $9 discounted and $8 for current Minnesota State Mankato students, and are available online at MSUTheatre.com or by calling or stopping by the Theatre & Dance Box Office from 4-6 p.m., Monday-Friday, in the lobby of the Earley Center for Performing Arts. Call 507-389-6661.