News HighlightsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=1519851361&paper=topstories
Maverick Handball Teams Finish 3rd Combined at Nationals
The Maverick women's team finished third, and the men's team finished fourth at nationals in Springfield, Mo.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Media Relations Office News Release, 2-28-2018
Mankato, Minn. -- The Minnesota State University, Mankato men's and women's handball teams finished in third place combined at the 2018 United States Handball Association's national collegiatiate handball tournament, held Feb. 21-25 at Missouri State University in Springfield, Mo.
The Maverick women's team finished third overall, just 13 points out of second place.
The Maverick men's team finished fourth overall.
- Freshman Michael Gaulton made it to the semifinals of the Open division (3rd overall). He was an All-American and All-Tournament player.
- Carina Aguilar finished 13th in the country, the second-highest finish for a Maverick women's player.
- Jordan Taylor from the men's team finished 13th in the country.
- Austin Biddle won the men's A1 championship.
- Erin Kost won the women's B1 championship.
- Nikki Theobald was runner-up in the women's A1 bracket.
- Joelle Anderson and Maddie Kennedy were runners-up in the women's A doubles.
- Courtney Sill received one of the Sportsmanship Awards at the banquet Saturday. She received at least 8 separate nominations.
- The top 6 men and top 6 women score for the Mavericks in the team competition. The Maverick women that scored were:
- Carina Aguilar (13th)
- Nikki Theobald (18th)
- Courtney Sill (21st)
- Maddie Kennedy (21st)
- Crystal Theobald (25th)
- Joelle Anderson (37th)
- The Maverick men that scored were:
- Michael Gaulton (3rd)
- Jordan Taylor (13th)
- Austin Biddle (17th)
- Clay Edwards (57th)
- D’Ante Ross (57th)
- Same Ure (72nd)
Minnesota State Mankato, a comprehensive university with 14,712 students, is part of the Minnesota State system, which includes 30 colleges and seven universities.